Tank Journal Archive

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Yeah I've cut mine up into a few different bits as it was a monster. Currently it's doubled in size from 4 months ago and has been relegated to a back corner of my tank - if it wasn't it would quickly take over my 4x2x2. I just cut the flesh with a sharp clean scalpel (one smooth cut) and then used a chisel and hammer and dremmel to make a smooth cut through the skeleton. All bits healed well in my tanks within a couple of weeks.

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
Might be a bit to much for me at the moment, I tried to frag some of my acans with a dremmel, it didn't go to well :p.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I successfully used a Dremel to cut away some dead area on an acan piece the other day. The remaining pieces are on the mend and looking way better.
Be very careful not to breath in the dust that comes off when grinding. It made me feel quite shitfull for a couple of hours.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I successfully used a Dremel to cut away some dead area on an acan piece the other day. The remaining pieces are on the mend and looking way better.
Be very careful not to breath in the dust that comes off when grinding. It made me feel quite shitfull for a couple of hours.
Good old dust masks do a great job - the smell is worse than burnt hair.

E

ezza

Plus you have to watch the toxins! Don't forget the cautionary tale of Mr. "I boiled my live rock and nearly killed myself, wife and dog." Hardware shops sell some really good quality but cheapish filtering masks.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Thanks. The worst part was I well aware of the dangers but of course didn't think a little bit of grinding would be dangerous.
Dust mask next time.

Matt_95

Dec 16, 2013
I'll make sure I use a mask then! I don't want anything to go wrong, thank you for the tip.

I think I will not frag the elegance and just move it to my larger tank when it is set up.