Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
On the software side of things I am planning:
  • 10 channel control with 4,096 PWM levels (the normal level for most controllers is 512) allowing for smoother transitions
  • Full automatic control, initially via the standard sunrise, on, sunset, off methodology but plan on an optional waypoint methodology in the future
  • Full manual control for setting the overall colour balance - real time adjustments via slider controls. There will be the ability to save 3 pre-set combinations and use any of them for the automatic controls.
  • Acclimation Setting - dim the overall light output by a user set amount and for a user set time. For example, you might reduce the light output by 50% which will gradually increase by 10% for 5 days until the normal output levels are reached.
  • Overall dimming control - user set reduction in the overall output levels.
  • One button change to/from Daylight Savings Time
  • User selection of the colour to apply to each channel
I will add anything else that I think of :) If there are any other requests please let me know, but I think that this list includes everything you will find on any commercial controller, and more.

I also plan to add:
  • Temperature based fan controller
  • Moonlight based on the actual phases of the moon
This controller will directly interface with the Meanwell LDD series of LED drivers without any additional hardware. Meanwell ELN P series can be accommodated with some additional transistor switching circuits and a 10v power supply.

:)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
A couple of questions -

For the display of the time on the screen, is there any need to have anything more than the hours and minutes? Seconds, Day of Week, Year ??

Is there a preference between 12 hour time and 24 hour time ??

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Mate you are onto a winner here :)

We would prefer 24hr time, but the option to switch between 12hr/24hr is a great idea if it can be done.
Hours & minutes is cool we think.

Day of the week - We would like that option. Reason being that Mon - Fri we are only home from 18:00 onwards, come Sat/Sun we are home all day & having the lights come on earlier would be nice. Instead of me changing the time every Sat morn lol.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Mate you are onto a winner here :)

We would prefer 24hr time, but the option to switch between 12hr/24hr is a great idea if it can be done.
Hours & minutes is cool we think.

Day of the week - We would like that option. Reason being that Mon - Fri we are only home from 18:00 onwards, come Sat/Sun we are home all day & having the lights come on earlier would be nice. Instead of me changing the time every Sat morn lol.
Where is that "I'm with stupid" ecomotion :cool:

But yeap - Ken (or Jen) hit it on the head for me as well. Esp. a different weekend schedule.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Synodontis and @macca_75 - tell me some more about this weekend schedule :confused:

What would you like?? Bring all time settings forward by 2 hours?? Extend the total photo period by 2 hours?? Automatically make the changes, or allow the user to press a button ??

Cheeko

Aug 3, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks magic I've been waiting for someone in detail also I've emailed that jurduino guy top bloke so helpful too.. Cheers ill tag along

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@MagicJ

For me, the ability to programme each day differently would be good. It's how my current timers work.

Basically I use the same program Mon-Fri and then switch them on earlier on the weekend.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
me i would like it so i could have blues come on at about 5am whites come on at around 6-7 then all ramp up to 100% by midday then ramp down to whites of by 8 blues off by 9-10

how about an option once a week/months (or as user wants) storm setting overcast days where light dont get to 100% mabey tie in with controler for wave pumps :D

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Tying the arduino in with the powerheads could be a mish. The only powerheads that i know of that can be flow controlled with the arduino are the DC Koralia range.
That is if no one has figured out how to send the control signal to MPs and tunzes yet.

Storm days would be good, as well as the earlier weekend lighting schedule.
You mentioned fan controlled cooling, so I was wondering if you would program in another cooling backup such as turning the lights off, sump light etc?

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
On the software side of things I am planning:
  • Full manual control for setting the overall colour balance - real time adjustments via slider controls. There will be the ability to save 3 pre-set combinations and use any of them for the automatic controls.

This is very close to what we are thinking. Having 3 pre-set combo's is great, just need to program that pre-set 1 runs from Mon/Fri, pre-set 2 runs Sat/Sun, so you don't have to chane anything Fri night or Sat morning to switch it into "weekend" mode. Pre-set 3 could be for ??? lol.
Not asking for much are we lol.

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
This is very close to what we are thinking. Having 3 pre-set combo's is great, just need to program that pre-set 1 runs from Mon/Fri, pre-set 2 runs Sat/Sun, so you don't have to chane anything Fri night or Sat morning to switch it into "weekend" mode. Pre-set 3 could be for ??? lol.
Not asking for much are we lol.

can you also program it to make a esspresso with a side order of fries that would be great :-)

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
do you know if you can program a "strobe effect in" like lightning that would be cool i know Tmc have a controloer that works with their led setup

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
do you know if you can program a "strobe effect in" like lightning that would be cool i know Tmc have a controloer that works with their led setup
I personally think that lightening effects are a gimmick and do nothing to advance the health and wellbeing of our corals and fish - if you want this sort of thing then you are on your own :D

newbiereef

Nov 8, 2011
gracemere
I personally think that lightening effects are a gimmick and do nothing to advance the health and wellbeing of our corals and fish - if you want this sort of thing then you are on your own :D
awwwh but u are the guru :worship

and it looks sweet