Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Question :confused:

Let's say you have a white channel set to a maximum output of 80% to achieve the required colour balance.

Now, if we have a graph showing the current output level of all the channels what would you expect to see for this white channel when it is at its maximum - 80% or 100% ??

If it was showing 80% then it might indicate it was not at its maximum intensity and would increase further, when in fact it wont.

Cheers

Chema

Jan 27, 2013
Hi MagicJ. Thank's a lot for your response. Yes, it is Arduino UNO.

I believe you are right in your diagnostic of the problem. The LDDs try to draw more current than the Arduino pins can provide. The Arduino is powered by a 10 V power supply.

I really appreciate your estimation of the actual current draw by the LDD. We addressed Meanwell concerning this, but got no answer. We suspected it might be between 10 and 15 mA. If that is true then your advise makes sense and your LDD distribution would work. Actually, my friend is much more eager to work out a solution with the current board, which he masters, than moving to another Arduino. Still, I'm very interested in your project, as one of the things I would like to implement is the ability to send SMS and there is a shield with that capability for Arduino MEGA.

Regards

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Question :confused:

Let's say you have a white channel set to a maximum output of 80% to achieve the required colour balance.

Now, if we have a graph showing the current output level of all the channels what would you expect to see for this white channel when it is at its maximum - 80% or 100% ??

If it was showing 80% then it might indicate it was not at its maximum intensity and would increase further, when in fact it wont.

Cheers
If you have set the maximum to be 80%, then seeing 80% would be fine I think. I know our Typhon shows 100 100 75 65 when it reaches maximum because that is how I set it. Anyone else would expect the last two channels to rise to 100%.
If the unit was sent to you already programmed & showed 80%, you would expect it to go to the full 100%.
:)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I would think differently to @Synodontis I would like to be able to set the max drive setting in one menu and then when it ramps up it ramps to 100% of the max drive setting. Then when on full they would all by 100%. This makes more sense to me, but having said that if it was like syno's then you would get used to it....

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. I would like to be able to set the MAX per channel on one graph/menu and then set the ramping up to 100% on another. You could even display it like - 100% (of 80%) or something to that effect... Its a bit hard to make suggestions with out seeing the GUI!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I haven't done the GUI yet :D Just doing some research.

Well, I have sort of started but it got me thinking as to which way I should go.

I will start with a graph of the channels showing 0-100% of the maximum set output. Above the line for each channel I will show the % of maximum obtainable output - if you get what I mean :confused:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Am I correct in assuming with the LDD drivers I'd jus want them to ramp up 100%. If it's to bright, just flip a smaller chip in.

Is this correct?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Am I correct in assuming with the LDD drivers I'd jus want them to ramp up 100%. If it's to bright, just flip a smaller chip in.

Is this correct?
Yes, you could do that :D but there is a fair gap between a 1000mA LDD and a 700mA LDD.

With a controller you are able to limit the maximum intensity by having a reduced PWM duty cycle - this enables you to balance the colour strings to your liking with 255 graduations (or 4096 in my case). Obviously if you turn one of the channels down significantly then it may be beneficial to replace the LDD.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Yes, you could do that :D but there is a fair gap between a 1000mA LDD and a 700mA LDD.

With a controller you are able to limit the maximum intensity by having a reduced PWM duty cycle - this enables you to balance the colour strings to your liking with 255 graduations (or 4096 in my case). Obviously if you turn one of the channels down significantly then it may be beneficial to replace the LDD.
Got it - Thanks

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@Chema, just a thought - do you have the Ground from the Arduino connected to the LDD's negative terminal?? If not, then this may be the cause of your problem rather than the current draw on the pin.

Chema

Jan 27, 2013
Hi MagicJ: I connected the ground from Arduino to all Vin negative terminals of the LDDs and then all of them to the ground terminal of the power supply.

My friend made a board for the Arduino, so there was a connector (with negative and positive terminals) for the Arduino power supply (10 V) and then connectors (also positive and negative) for each dimming channel. I connected the negatives of those connectors (which I suppose where all connected to the gnd terminal of the Arduino in the board) to the negatives of the Vin terminals of the LDDs and the negative terminal of the power supply.

Hope that was right

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Feature Request: Simulated cycle.

Basically run through the 10/12 hour cycle (ramping through each checkpoint) much faster, say every 15min checkpoint would be done every 15 seconds, effectively 1 min to simulate an hour.

My guess is this would be pretty easy to do.

That way I can watch for 10 min and see the color variations of an entire day.

Cheers

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Feature Request: Simulated cycle.

Basically run through the 10/12 hour cycle (ramping through each checkpoint) much faster, say every 15min checkpoint would be done every 15 seconds, effectively 1 min to simulate an hour.

My guess is this would be pretty easy to do.

That way I can watch for 10 min and see the color variations of an entire day.

Cheers
Noted :reading

alan

Jan 26, 2012
Hobart
I know you think its silly, but the storm thing would be cool. I dont know if it does any good or harm for the fish, but it would impress my kids, and maybe make the wife happy too.