Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Diy Led Build - For Real This Time.
About 1 year ago I built a DIY LED as a trial run. I learnt a few things, found a few things I didn't expect & I have had time to sit, ponder and re-evaluate what I wanted.

Below is what I have come up with and will be building. As it is DIY I can also tweak it a little however I suspect it will be far superior to what I currently have.

What have I had?

My setup for the past 10 years or so has been 2 x 250W MH lights. Until recently (about 18 months ago I moved the tank into a "fish tank room") I supplemented these with 2 x Actinic tubes - I just never moved the Actinic tubes from the hood to the room as the plan was always to go LED's. I also added 3 x Moontubes and a Moontube Controller a few years back (fishbowl innovations brand).

I had never really been happy with the sudden "off" action of the halides. Turning on was never an issue as they slowly lit, from yellow through to White (well I thought it was white, until I'd replace the bulbs from time to time and saw how yellow they got with age). I also have an issue in Summer with the tank room over heating due to the heat thrown by the halides (on a summers day it could heat the room by as much as 10 degrees which made keeping the tank cool a real issue). Also worth noting is the fact these 250W halides actually run at 280W each.

So what did my first attempt look like?

Well, after much research and um'ing and arh'ing I decided to go down the DIY route - a lot of credit going to @MagicJ and @Rob - without them I probably would have bought into the Maxspect P series.

I started this thread to learn what I could and lots of members were on board to assist with experiences and opinions

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/diy-led-lighting-questions-for-those-who-have-done-it.5158/

Below is a pic of where I ended up with what I am calling v0.1 Basically it has 7 channels of lighting configured as such:
  • 12 Cool White driven at 700mA
  • 4 Neutral White driven at 700mA
  • 12 Blue driven at 700mA
  • 12 Royal Blue driven at 700mA
  • 8 Violet 405-420nm driven at 350mA
  • 4 Turquoise driven at 500mA
  • 4 Cyan driven at 500mA
I was going to split this across 4 x 6" bits of heat sink above on of the "holes" in my bracing (my tank has three holes between the braces to fill). I couldn't configure it to fit so I ended up making 4 clusters across 3 bits of the heat sink in series (as shown below).

IMG_0760.JPG

I'm not sure why to this day, however it looks really blue when I put if over my tank (and in the photo - it is far less blue when turned on in a large open space room). I was a little disappointed with the overall colour balance and took the light to @Rob house - the colour balance looked great over his tank and was a nice white with a hint of blue tinge - exactly what I wanted. Strange :(

I did my best to keep the wiring neat, but with that many LED's clustered so tightly together it was hard. I wanted tight clusters to keep the disco effect on the sand bed to a minimum and get a nice even spread of light (hence no lenses)

So what is the plan now?

Soon after I finished v0.1 http://ledgroupbuy.com released their Lumia 5.1 Reef chip - http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/lumia-5-1-100w-full-spectrum-5-channel-led/

@MagicJ already had his hands on one by the time I saw it and had it running - http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/lighting.7893/#post-112825

It looked perfect. A little more conversation offline with @MagicJ and I was convinced this was for me.

So I put and order in. The plan is to have 3 x modules (1 for each hole in the bracing like above). Each module with have 1 x 18" MakersLED heat sink, 2 x Lumia 5.1 chips, a PSU capable to running the full 200W if I decide to, 2 x LDD driver boards (1 per chip using all 5 channels), a DC-DC converter (to power the cooling fans) and of course the cooling fans themselves. I plan to run:
  • Channel 1 - Neutral White (base white spectrum) @ 500mA
  • Channel 2 - Royal Blue (base blue spectrum) @ 500mA
  • Channel 3 - Hyper Violet (enhanced growth) @ 350mA
  • Channel 4 - Deep Red / Turquoise (enhanced colour spectrum) @ 350mA
  • Channel 5 - True Violet / Cool Blue (enhanced growth and colour spectrum) @ 500mA
Here are a couple of pics of a module being built.

The bare heat sink after I drilled a few holes and fitted grommets to run the wires through

IMG_1177.JPG

Chips mounted and wires run on the underside

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

And the wires labelled with the chip number (1 or 2) and channel (A-E). Keeping these consistent through to the Driver board will help with the dimming later

IMG_1180.JPG

Cooling fans mounted directly above chips

IMG_1183.JPG

Here is a pic of the caddy where everything will be mounted in. As it is in a tank room aesthetics aren't a really priority. The caddy has rollers on the top and these fit door hanging rails so the module can easily be slid left or right about the tank, without be turned off, for tank maintenance. At this stage only a 240V cord with a molded plug and a CAT5 cable will come out of the board - at a later stage I may also change these to be sockets. You can also see the PSU hooked up to the driver boards and DC-DC converter.

IMG_1186.JPG

The 5 individual channels running (in no particular order) and finally the chip running with all channels on. (iphone pics don’t really represent the colours very well)

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

On my first trial run over the tank the light appeared blue again - not as blue as v0.1 but not white like I expected. It must be something to do with the colour of the walls in the tank room. I am not too concerned as I can correct this by either moving a few channels up to 700mA or (the more likely scenario) using @MagicJ controller to bring the blue's down a bit. I could also slap a coat of white paint on the room's walls but that seems like to hard work. Some initial observations:
  1. I am getting great shimmer on the rock work and sand bed - better than my MH
  2. The light seemed a little dull on the sand bed and under rock work
  3. There is no sign of the disco effect on the sand bed. I will spend more time looking very closely when I clean the glass, but I am really pleased thus far with what I have seen.
  4. There appeared to be a slight spotlighting effect from the chips, not spreading the light as much as I thought. This is without lenses so I would have thought the light should have spread really well.
Closer inspection revealed I was losing a lot of light due to the way I mounted the heat sink in the module. Below are pictures looking between the bottom of the heat sink and the caddy, firstly of how the light passes through the hole (I think I got the size about right here) but then a better representation of the light being lost and reflected back into the caddy rather than into the tank (this explains the spotlighting effect)

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

The answer seemed really easy - stop fiddling around with little dinky holes for the light to pass through and make a bigger one. So I cut a big square out from under the heat sink (the holes in the centre of the cut out below are what was there in the pics above).

IMG_1196.JPG

So now it looks like this

IMG_1197.JPG

So much more punch for my money....

All up, using the same power meter I measured the halides with this module runs at 120W. It is approximately running about 50% of its capacity so if I need more light in the future I can just throw bigger LDD's in the driver board. As I am a softies fan and will move into some LPS soon I think what I have will suffice. I will end up with 360W of LED over an 8x2 foot print (but can increase it to 600W). The light sources will originate from 6 points (6 LED's) so the coverage should be very even.

Whats next?
Sit back and enjoy (or move onto another DIY project)

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
I like the idea of these chips, if I didn't have the razor I could just put just 1 over my 45x45x45, and turn it down, lol

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Crappy iPhone pic, but I have done 2 out of the 3. I still need to do the middle one. Excuse the cable in front as I need to move the Xmas present up to the top right (which means hiding cables in walls, etc.)

Getting harder to find time to do the third as well as I got COD for the Xbox as well ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388127306.554755.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
And because I had 5 mins spare. Here are a couple of shots of the two units hung on the rollers (they can roll all the way left or right to make maintenance easier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388294971.964094.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388295002.082129.jpg

Just need to get around to making the third unit the start hassling @MagicJ

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
And just to prove I had all 3 running before the end of the year.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388465906.669924.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388465920.926987.jpg

Sure I still need to clean the glass, remove the ild light frame, etc but the lights are running.

Massive thanks to @Rob for giving me a hand last night and motivating me to get it finished.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Looks great! Do you think the light output looks similar to my tank?

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Looks great! Do you think the light output looks similar to my tank?
Hey @Buddy , The light is a little more blue than I remember yours being without any control. I could counter by putting some spare 700mA LDD's in a few slots but I think I will leave it and just use @MagicJ controller when it arrives (where is that poke eco) to tune it the way I want it.

To be honest the colour is growing on me the way it is.

And the best fact of all - I cannot see a single shred of evidence of the disco effect on the sand bed. That was my biggest concern of going LED.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Happy it worked out for you. I sure would love that controller too :cool:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I'm finding it hard to get a good shot using "point and click" settings and that is the limit of my photography skills.

Anyway, for what it's worth is is a FTS with the 3 lights on (and the front of the tank tidied up a little, although it still needs to frame to be sanded and painted). I decided to see what happens if I loaded the GUI for ReefPi into the built in browser for the TV - to my surprise it actually worked OK.
IMG_0712.JPG

And a shot in the engine room with the old light frame removed. I now need to make a new holder for my auto feeder (I am always so afraid I am going to knock it off the top of the tank and into the water). I also need to remount my moon lights - easiest option here is mount the tubes and controller to a bit of wood and screw the wood to the wall just below the lights. Incidentally this is a similar view to what I am thinking for a web cam (it will be only whats inside the box and not the mess outside of it) - looking down the 8' length. I already have both streamed feed and still image capture working on the ReefPi - just need to figure which I prefer and mount the camera.

IMG_0714.JPG

grimnir

Aug 12, 2013
Parkinson
love the look of it. got my LED's mounted on the weekend, just waiting on the other hardware before I can fire them up.
Those maker heat sinks are great. although not the advertised length.. mine area 1/2" shorter than they should be lol.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
US vs. AU inches I guess?????:confused:

You're right though - it's awesome heat sink. I found the 1 1/2' lengths allowed a more even spread of the chips. You'll love the light it gives out.. I just need to add a controller now so I can finally dim. My 1 1/2' lengths were 450mm exactly so yeah - when I think about it they are 8mm short (being spot on in mm actually worked in my benefit anyway) . I wonder if they are manufactured to mm but sold as imperial??

jayellul

Sep 6, 2013
I've always wanted to retrofit my Giesemann Infinity 2ft halide with two of these babies. Just don't know where to start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk