Reef Discussion

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
LED layouts.

OK - not knowing what I am doing I have created 2 layouts. (NOTE: Nothing is to scale, but the middle picture gives you any idea of the heatsink size compared to the stars)

The first is what 1 heatsink will look like (really after feedback on the layout).

1Heatsink.JPG

Basically on the heatsink I can mount the LED's in up to 5 lines. The picture below stolen off the internet better shows what I mean.

ai842.photobucket.com_albums_zz347_jmowbray_MakersLED_LED_install_3_lowres.jpg

Below is a picture of what the 4 heatsinks that I will make into a "module" will look like. They should effectively light up the equivilant of a 2' x 2.5' area of tank.

all_heatsinks.JPG

Have I got the clustering right/wrong/etc?

Without changing the number os LED's I have (I need to stand firm somewhere or I'll never get the build kicked off) should they be re-layed out? Should I be placing any particular colors next to each other?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I think as long as they are clustered fairly close the exact layout wouldn't make a massive difference ... however personally I would go symmetrical (just 'cause that's how I roll ;) ), and think about the following:
- NW in the middle as you have it
- Cyan and Turquoise as far apart as you can get as they are similar colour
- Your UV as far apart as they can get to maximise coverage
- CB towards the centre as they can overpower so better chance of blending
- CW and RB spaced around them

ai45.tinypic.com_33ayqt3.jpg

The only doubt I have is whether the Cyan/Turqoise would need to be closer to the middle to blend, or whether having both close would create a 'green spot' and being far apart is better.

[edit]kept the colours the same as yours except violet which I made purple, to save me writing the names in!

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
OK - for a first look at the Makersled heat sink "Nano" package. This is the 6" version.

Cost (excluding delivery) was $25US

Head to the website for the nice pictures of whats included, but rest assured everything is in there and it's as good as the website says - http://www.makersled.com.au - if not better. Anyway here's a crappy iPhone pic.

IMG_0654.JPG

Here's a close up of how the slots work to "screw" the LED's in place. Of course you'd still want to apply thermal grease, etc

IMG_0655.JPG

And of course if you want to imagine what it looks like with the end plates. You can choose to either polish the sides or insert a piece of 2mm thick plastic - colour of your choice (as you need to buy it :))

IMG_0656.JPG

Next up is the layout I intend to use (NOTE: all the LED's are the same color as I didn't want to open every packet until I am ready to solder, but you get the idea for the layout. I also didn't take any care lining up the +/- terminals for the photo but will need to put a little thought into this to make the wiring as easy as possible).

IMG_0657.JPG

And last but not least this is a pretty close to scale layout of what my "module" will look like. 4 x heat sinks (each with the 13 LED's as above). The white square in the centre is about the size of the driver box. At this stage plans are still being made as to whether we should mount the power supply on the module or leave it separate on the shelf above.

IMG_0660.JPG

For mounting I will probably run a bit of 4x2 (left to right in the pic) and hang the heat sinks off the side with some aluminium tube (1/4") - if you look back tot he first pic you will notice the "C" sections on the inside of the heat sink (between where the shield slides in and the LED's) that is made for this purpose. Fit's 1/4" tube perfectly, with a screw up the end to stop it sliding off.

First impressions of this kit is it is a really, really, really , really , really nice bit of heat sink for a DIY. They have thought of everything I can think of so far that you might want to do.

Here's a free marketing bit for them, but if you're interested

I can't wait for the rest of the LED's to arrive next week so we can begin soldering this puppy up.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
They are definitely a nice development for the diy community. These had just come out on the market when i was searching for heatsinks and were very pricey, good to see they are becoming a better option.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Have to agree with everyone, some real thought went into the design of the heatsink.

Q. It looks good with the layout of your LED's, when you start to throw a few wires into the equation, will you drill the heatsink to thread the wires through back to the drivers? If so you might need a little more room around the LED's for the holes. Just a thought I had seeing the pics, you may have already thought of something. :)

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
probably a tad late to reply to the post by @chimaera but i have some cyan LED's, they are positioned next to two royal blue and two 10K white in a pyramyd sort of formation.
And i can say that on the bottom of an 18" tank, you cannot tell the light is there, but thte closer you get the more of a green spot there is , however, i have found that BTA's loved this colour, they would move themselfs around to be under it, wether it is because it stood out or something i have no idea. but....

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
OK - so I was meant to start wiring this up last night with @Rob - ended up being down the beach due to the hot weather.

Anyway, back on track.

I either layout like @chimaera suggested back in post 142 or layout like in my post 144 example

Thoughts?

If I go for a round circle with a few in the middle (which I am leaning to) how does the following layout look? Are there any colors I should place together for better blending?

Layout2.JPG

@Rob and I have also discussed (over and over :) ) and we are actually going to try "3 in a row" instead of a 2 x 2 layout (per module). This will suit my aquascape as it is basically a pile of rocks and corals straight down the centre) - excuse the green algae film

IMG_5562.JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
OK - so I was meant to start wiring this up last night with @Rob - ended up being down the beach due to the hot weather.

Anyway, back on track.

I either layout like @chimaera suggested back in post 142 or layout like in my post 144 example

Thoughts?

If I go for a round circle with a few in the middle (which I am leaning to) how does the following layout look? Are there any colors I should place together for better blending?

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1358482547_Layout2.JPG

@Rob and I have also discussed (over and over :) ) and we are actually going to try "3 in a row" instead of a 2 x 2 layout (per module). This will suit my aquascape as it is basically a pile of rocks and corals straight down the centre) - excuse the green algae film

View attachment awww.imagerocket.net_photos_1358482547_IMG_5562.JPG
Your images aren't showing up ...

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@macca_75 - stop stressing about the layout :stop

When I last replaced some of the Neutral White leds I did not redo the overall layout (I plan to fix this sometime :rolleyes) so I now have a very uneven spread of white and blue leds - one area has 6 blue/royal blue all together.

I do not notice this in the tank - everything still blends nicely.

That being said, I would try to get the cyan/turquoise leds in the middle of the cluster, rather than on the extremity.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks @MagicJ and @chimaera. (PS. Pics fixed).

Was going to start tonight, but as usual life got in the way.

Soon, Soon - I promise. Shane - I bet I'll bet your boards ;)

I'm going to swap the Cyan and the Royal Blue that's next to it.

until I have an update with Progress - Chao

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
@macca_75 do you want me to send the boards or do you want to wait until the extra's (screw connectors and IC holder) arrive?
Without the IC sockets, how will you mount it all together ;)

Seriously, lets just wait. Send me a PM with what I owe you (including postage) and your PayPal details and I'll transfer some coin.

On a more positive note I did manage to get the LED's screwed onto the heatsink last night.

Once I can get @Rob to cast his eye on the layout (from a woldering it together point of view) I'm on the way:cool:

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Finally - movement at the station.

A massive thanks to @Rob who came over tonight and help (and by help I mean pretty much did) get this working...

First - the final LED layout (to try anyway)
IMG_0683.JPG

3 in a row (Note: This is not the final mounting in terms of keeping the 3 together, but it will do for testing).
IMG_0684.JPG

A close up of spaghetti heaven.
IMG_0686.JPG

And finally we managed to get the Royal's running.

IMG_0687.JPG

Just waiting for the driver boards from @MagicJ ;)