Reef Discussion

ifyalucky

Jul 15, 2011
diy led
Hi Everone

i m new to this i m just in process in setting up my first tank i have a 4'x2'x1.5' tank with a 3'x1.5'x1.5' sump i was thinking of using led lighting as i m on a budget i was going to look at the bridgelux led but have had a few people say i should look at using cree but only have a small budget trying to keep cost down on this build as i only start out so what are your thoughts people???

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
the cheaper bridgelux leds are allright for an entry level system. although the cree leds are of a much higher quality. they put out more lumen per wat. what makes them more effective using the same amount of power.
for diy led setups i can recomend www.rapidled.com
a 36 led kit would be suffice for that size tank.

if you were interested in the premade route and on a budget look at the 120w cree led units sold by itzmatty
http://www.amdbulbs.com/site/

if you chase the diy round try change the leds around so you get a mix of cool white warm white blue and royal blue.

personaly i like the royal blues so i add more royal blues then blues and more blues then whites in the ratio of 3b per 1w. i would also make the whites dimable. (thats my personal preference alot of people go 1-1)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
wavlength of the light emited.
the bins on the light also have somthing to do with it. you would have to talk to someone thats realy into diy leds.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
that wouldnt be to good as you would get horible algae growth. expecialy with that high of the red spectrum.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
LED's are available in all those colours Jonny - you can also get tri-colour leads (Red, Blue and Green) where you can adjust each individual colour to create any colour you want.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
hope you have home insurence i have a feeling there will be a claim regarding a house fire soon :worship

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
vern bought some cheap chinease 3w leds, i helped him do a diy job for his nano, they turned out decent for the price. we used meanwell dimable driver to power them but he saved heaps using the cheaper LEDS. for a frag tank i cant see why you cant use the cheap ones!