Reef Discussion

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Diy Light Frame
Has anyone made their own frame for a diy led?

I'm planning on using connect-it from bunnings but I'm not quite sure how strong it will be. I want something similar to the cade or aqua one light hangers but with the light frame kind of built in if that makes sense but not sure if the plastic joiners will be able to support the weight. I'm planning on using some 90 degree brackets on the inside to provide some extra support.

My stand has circular brackets to hold so I'll need to figure out another way to mount it on the back of the tank as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Connect it is strong if you make a box or a closed shape. If using like an L shape arm, it's pretty weak.

If you want to go L shape, look into aluminium extrusion instead. I made my halide arm on my frag tank out of it and it works a charm.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Yeah the plan was to use an L shape soon it has a nice open top.

Do you have a tank journal with any pictures of the bracket you made?

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
nope - need an aluminium joint or buy online
Damn. I'll see how the connect-it goes with brackets on the corners. If I'm not comfortable with it holding the weight then I'll chase up that stuff. Found a few places online already. I prefer the cleaner look of the connect-it over the extrusion so hopefully it holds up.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
I have used the Bunnings connect it system to make up brackets and as Sam has pointed out above, an L shape unsupported is not strong.

They can be reinforced with the use of blind rivets though. I have done this in the past.

How much weight will the frame need to support?

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
I have used the Bunnings connect it system to make up brackets and as Sam has pointed out above, an L shape unsupported is not strong.

They can be reinforced with the use of blind rivets though. I have done this in the past.

How much weight will the frame need to support?
I wouldn't think the entire thing would weigh more than 4-5kg. I might use 4 pieces to support it and see how that goes.

Jake89

Aug 17, 2016
Nowra
Not sure if it what you are after, but here is how I have done my hanger:

View attachment 56051
View attachment 56052

I kept the Maxspect Razor at the back for comparison.

Arms holder - CAD design for 3D printing
http://a360.co/2jcgynK

2x Aluminum flat bar 20x3mm from Bunnings or Mitre10
https://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-20-x-3mm-1m-aluminium-flat-bar_p1064265

Cheers mate. That looks pretty good. Not sure how it would work with euro bracing though. I'm after something like the aqua one style light. I might see if i can buy them separately.
Screenshot_20170201-184226.png