Reef Discussion

donkey

Aug 15, 2011
Hi

I'm only running a 1700 lph pump on it at the moment but this is far to small,I know one guy who made this and hes getting 3000lph from it and he thinks that about the best you will get with this size pipe.

Just had a look at yours. What size pipe are you using on it,mine is only 22mm

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
My original was 20mm (3/4" actually...) internal diameter.

The second one uses 40 and 50mm for the syphon and 25mm for the 2 drains.

donkey

Aug 15, 2011
Not read through all your thread but let me ask you a few questions. The pipe that goes into the ball valve looks like its been reduced to a smaller bore pipe ? Would you not be better off keeping the same bore pipe all the way down to the sump instead of bottle necking the flow once it hits the tap.

In all the tests I did on mine I found the flow is much stronger if its taken from the bottom of the tank. I would think the reason you made the intake short is because it wont drain a lot of water out of the tank and into the sump,did you ever test this using a long thin weir instead of a low wide weir, that way you would be taking the water from the bottom of the tank,hope you know what I mean by that

And just to be on the safe side and stop snails and fish getting in there I would silicone a Weir Comb to the glass