Reef Discussion

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
Diy Stirrer
Hi all. I thought I would share my diy stirrer. Made with a 40mm fan I had sitting around and a 9volt battery connected to a variable resistor. Simply glue earth magnets to fan and adjust speed to suit. With a resistor for speed control its hard to get slower speeds as the fan can struggle to start with low voltage so a PWM control would be better but they are larger.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Before lid fitted.

image.jpeg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nice idea, but I can't actually see how it works :confused:

Is there something in the vial that is rotated by the spinning magnets?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have actually got a use for something like this in the future - I just need to remember this thread when the time comes :p

Once again, the benefit of being a member of a great forum :)

A search on eBay came up with a few good things :

upload_2016-3-29_22-47-58.png

$3.15 for 2 x 10mm

There are larger sizes available as well.

You can also buy a DIY kit for $59 with a PWM controller

adigitalhomebrew.com_Content_Images_uploaded_DIY_20SP_20Kit_20V2_IMG_2793.jpg

There is also a website called StirBars.com which sell ... stir bars :eek

Thanks @Sean81 for this great idea :worship

Sean81

Nov 11, 2015
Sydney, South
I found the 10mm stir bars can jump from magnet to magnet sometimes so I am waiting on some 20mm bars to come. But I think to 20mm will not fit in the salifert vials.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Keep me in mind when your about to make yours @MagicJ - if it is cheaper to buy enough parts to knock together a couple more, I'd certainly be keen to pay my share of parts and your time.

Sam

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I use to run experiments in the same size vials using stirrer hotplates and the stirrer bars that were about 5mm long. I wouldn't use the egg shaped ones that you are using. I found that the stirrer bar tended to jump about if you turned the stirrer up too high.

One other use, but in a larger version, would be to make a carousel inside your tank. So, all your rockwork sit on a platform that spins around. An alternative to water movement, you can present to your guests, "rock movement"!

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Another suggestion is instead of using the fan, remove the fan and mount a small magnet or metal bar (about 1cm or 2 cm long) on the spindle. As this rotates it will cause the magnet inside the vial to spin. This would be closer to what the stirrer hotplates use. You may need to drill a hole through the centre of the magnet or metal bar to mount it on the spindle.

You could use any small motor that you can mount.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Hmmm now I am going to have to get one of these to increase my reefing laziness :D

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
I'm loving this idea and thread, but would the magnetic pill affect the test at all? Certainly couldn't use it in a Hanna but the Red Sea pro kits - this has value....

@Rob - seems right up your alley.