Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Do Sea Cucumbers Nuke Tanks?
We've all heard the stories and I have no doubt it happens, but in 42 years of aquaria, I had never heard of anyone who even knew someone it had happened to. As it happens someone just last week said they had seen it happen themselves but nevertheless I think you would have to be unlucky and I continue to keep cucumbers in most of my marine tanks.

I've never had any issue with cucumbers and I've accidentally squashed the between rocks (they get into crazy places), even had one get slightly battered by a powerhead without any negative effect, mind you I was lucky it was minor.

Two or three years ago I had a black cucumber die in one tank and a leopard cucumber in another. No ill effects other than the expected ammonia increase(I keep Ammolock on hand for such little events). People reading my TJ know that after a DSB accident, I recently transferred all survivors to a holding tank. I removed one cucumber the day after as it was all but dead. This morning I found the other dead and spewing what looked like entrails, out it's bum.

I have a minor ammonia reading but no other issues so I won't hesitate to put sea cucumbers in the next tank, due to go online about xmas.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
i about 50 or so small prob 2-5cm green cucumbers in my tank no prob so fair but i guess a small 1 dieing isn't really a big deal in 400l of water. never kept or known of any1 that have the big ones in there tank i think most LFS tell ppl the "story's" and they get scared off getting 1.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
People have different interpretations of what "nuking" a tank means. For some, it means loosing 50 SPS pieces, for some it means losing every fish, for some it means both or something else all together.

A lot of people say the same about BTA's going through powerheads. Whilst it can kill a lot of things, it is really just an excessive amount of nutrients released into the water. If you can do some solid water changes and pop some fresh carbon in to remove any other unusual contaminants, you should be fine.

E

ezza

My burnt sausage was shredded going through the overflow and there was no negative impact (aside from needing to pull bright red cucumber bits out of the system).

Oceanarium

Nov 8, 2011
Perth
It will depend on the species of cuc. H Atra and H edulus I have extensive experience with.

Atra is all black Edulus the black and red one both marketed as burnt sausage and are both very safe. I prefer Atra as most suited to aquaria and sand beds. There is though a reasonable doubt as to the toxicity of the eggs of both these species on fish. I have certainly had thousands pass through our sales and keep them long term... many years in my displays.

Interestingly both these species are considered edible.

As for other species..... As a collector I have certainly put a single cuc in with some fish for instant and devastating results. No need for squashing and no need for entrales to be exuded, cuc remains looking healthy and happy all fish die in minutes when the two are mixed. Much like mixing a box fish with your catch, seemingly as a defense some will release a toxin. I have seen this with numerous species, the spiky appearance ones seem far more prone though there is no set rule as to what may be safe by appearance alone.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have seen them in LPS but have no gone there yet, I don't know much about them, I have BTA get shredded in a power head once, what a mess.....I did about 4 x wc, all was good