Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Do You Dip Your Corals?
When you said you dip your corals, do you mean ALL of it, before they went in?

By all: Clams, NPS, Softies, LPS & SPS.

What (brand) do you dip them with?

No ill-effect whatsoever? No worry-ness whatsoever (especially those with 3 $$$ digits)?

awww.alexiafoods.com_cache_images_rpsrecipes_img_7202_6593.jpg

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
I'm guilty of never having dipped a coral.

I do inspect the coral well before adding it into the tank, especially for Aiptasia, which I have never had in my tank.

I would expect this to be controversial, but I reckon my tank has benefitted from the life that has been introduced into my tank from other tanks by introducing new corals and I wonder if dipping might have prevented this?

I should add that many of the corals I have bought have been bought from fellow reefers who have had well maintained tanks. Others have been bought from shops that have had healthy looking tanks.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I should add that many of the corals I have bought have been bought from fellow reefers who have had well maintained tanks. Others have been bought from shops that have had healthy looking tanks.
How do (you/I) know that their tanks are well maintained?

Savage Henry

Feb 2, 2015
Visual inspection and a good chat with the seller. That's about it.

The very first corals I ever bought came from what looked to be a tank crash but at the time I knew little about the hobby and was only meant to be buying the live rock. Consequently, the corals that I got turned out to be bullet proof and I still have them today. The only reason I can think of why I didn't pick up pests and things from that tank was because they were probably all dead.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
One of the LFS I visit always dip thier SPS before putting them on the sale rack.
You should ask the LFS....
Some LFS don't dip and I kind of like the crabs and goby fish that come as freebies with the coral.
I used to prefer to have a six line wrasse manage any tank pests , saying that I would add a six line as the last fish to stock the tank when building the fish list.
Last - I don't think a clam requires a dip.

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I'm guilty of never having dipped a coral.

I do inspect the coral well before adding it into the tank, especially for Aiptasia, which I have never had in my tank.

I would expect this to be controversial, but I reckon my tank has benefitted from the life that has been introduced into my tank from other tanks by introducing new corals and I wonder if dipping might have prevented this?

Me too, never dipped coral before introducing it to the tank. I probably should but I see all those pods, worms, etc dying and I dislike it, even though that's the whole point. I do keep a bottle of REVIVE on hand for emergencies although the few times I've used it on ailing corals, I couldn't say one way or another if there was any effect at all. Actually I've had it so long it could even be out of date if that applies to dips.

Given the original poster's question, I did some quick googling and emailed a guy I know in Noumea (works in the field). Googling, I could find no convincing reason not to dip, on the other hand, most people promoting dips, also seemed to be selling them.

I haven't got the email reply yet.

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
this is why i dip my corals came from a store that dips their coral before putting on racks for sale, i use revive

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_B1F1B89E_FEBB_417B_823E_3ACF221075DB_zpskcwawmz0.jpg

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Got the email back. The aquarium there do dip when introducing wild corals.

They use their own concoction which consists mainly of iodine, natural tea tree oil and certain antipesticides which surprised me. He didn't elaborate on what they were.

Nearly forgot, they bring their dipping mixture up to 29C before using. Don't know why. I've asked so I'll see if he tells me. :)