Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Perfect. Uses dimensions well, is modern without being too sparse, lots of swimming room and still a heap of spots to get some corals on there growing taking up space. Perfecto!

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
How come you are using base rock ? What about the live rock from the old tank. Are you going to do a fresh cycle ?

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
How come you are using base rock ? What about the live rock from the old tank. Are you going to do a fresh cycle ?
We lost 80% of it
No room in ibc
So only option
No not doing a traditional cycle
My fish are struggling in the ibc terribly so next next week they go in the tank
I am confident of managing any issues better in this volume of water than the current issues I am experiencing in the ibc

shaidas

Jan 30, 2017
Cant honestly say you shouldnt given that I am dying to see this thing up :). But while the massive water volume will dilute the ammonia, without the biological filtration, won't it still possibly harm the livestock ? Unless the situation is same in the IBC in which case this is a better choice obviously given the increase in water volume and the skimmer . I suppose worse come to worse you could use some Prime. I am guessing you will be using the IBC connected to your dosing pump hereon given the size of this thing :p

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Cant honestly say you shouldnt given that I am dying to see this thing up :). But while the massive water volume will dilute the ammonia, without the biological filtration, won't it still possibly harm the livestock ? Unless the situation is same in the IBC in which case this is a better choice obviously given the increase in water volume and the skimmer . I suppose worse come to worse you could use some Prime. I am guessing you will be using the IBC connected to your dosing pump hereon given the size of this thing :p
I am battling ammonia on a daily basis yes
Not high but not acceptable either
So I have Seachem stability & prime on hand to use in the new system
And have been dosing prime daily in the ibc

My thought process is 0.04 ammonia in 700ltr ibc with aggression issues happening because of space & territorial issues (13 tangs )
Yes -
My fish stand a far better chance in 3,500ltes & space
So although not ideal & not the way we would have chosen to do things
Unfortunately I think Is the only way to proceed

Jacques Pels

Feb 4, 2017
Gold Coast, QLD
Great layout Lesley.
Looks like you have your plate full, and all sorts of factors to consider, so at the end of the day, do what your gut tells you is best for your critters.
I am so looking forward to watch this progress - and learn from it. thanks for sharing it all.
Jac

reeferliam

Apr 25, 2017
Congrats on the new tank, if your old one is anything to go by this will be amazing. I hope the transfer of the fish goes trouble free and you suffer no losses. Good luck. Oh btw I joined just so I could follow your build!

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Congrats on the new tank, if your old one is anything to go by this will be amazing. I hope the transfer of the fish goes trouble free and you suffer no losses. Good luck. Oh btw I joined just so I could follow your build!
Oh. That's lovely. Thank you :)