Reef Discussion

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Dosing For a Nano
Hi all,
I've been researching what I'll be dosing for my 60cm Nano Reef, in order to maintain Calc, Alk and Mag. I'd really like to avoid any DIY type stuff in this area, but I would like to use a dosing pump to handle it all. I don't want to rely on doing water changes to maintain levels, as I'd prefer to perform top ups with RODI water and dose rather than be mixing ASW.

In that regard, I would think the supplements would have to be scaleable to a mL so that I can correctly dose them. This might mean watering down the product with distilled water, which I'm willing to do.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good entry level product for maintaining these three levels? Details of my setup can be found below in my signature.

So far all I've found is Kent Nano Reef Parts A and B.

Any suggestions?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
For the pump itself, check www.marinemagic-online.com/ - can't beat it for the price really. I am just starting to set mine going ...

I am using Brightwell products - Liquid Reef, Replenish, Koral Color (on the dosing pump), Restor, Iodion, Reef Snow (manual). But honestly still figuring out how much of each and how often ...

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
For the pump itself, check www.marinemagic-online.com/ - can't beat it for the price really. I am just starting to set mine going ...

I am using Brightwell products - Liquid Reef, Replenish, Koral Color (on the dosing pump), Restor, Iodion, Reef Snow (manual). But honestly still figuring out how much of each and how often ...
That's amazing how it can dose to a fraction of a mL, I'll definitely consider buying one if you have success programming it :D

I just had a look at Brightwell's website, looks like you need to shake those products thoroughly before dosing, so you would need a stirrer if you're using a dosing pump. Same thing goes for their Nano Code-A and B supplements. Are you using some sort of magnetic stirrer?

I'm leaning towards using two all in one type products to see how I fare with simple corals, then work my way up to the more intensive stuff.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'd say I run a fairly successful nano with good growth in SPS aswell as all other corals, and honestly the only thing I have found myself needed to dose is to keep the alk up with bicarb in my top up water and a tiny little bit of cal to tire it over till a water change.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
The total water volume should be just under 100L.

When we say water changes, we're talking about premixing ASW then removing saltwater from the tank and then topping it up with the new mix?

I'd like to avoid that so I'll maintain salinity with an ATO and RODI water. I suppose I'll have to look at what my levels are and how fast they are declining before I put the money down for a pump.

I'm hoping to grow enough macro to lower phosphates and nitrates, but if that gets out of hand I'll probably resort to a TLF PhosBan Reactor.

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Ideally; am I correct in assuming either you go for regular water changes to restock nutrients that have been depleted by the coral growth or you dose according to what is depleted?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
You'll be replacing lots of things you won't be dosing or testing for with water changes. Changes will also export a lot of bad stuff from the water

Don't think you'll find many highly successful tanks that don't do water changes

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yeah I have seen a few that get away without water changes, but the one I know of that went over a year had a huge fuge area too.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Remember water changes help remove fish poop etc and replenishes stuff that most of us don't test for. My nano is about 100L and all I am dosing is 4ml of alk per day and water changes take care of the rest. I think I am having to dose alk because of a decent size Maxima clam I have.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Yup my nano had its first water change in over 2 months last night. It was still cruising along just nicely but nothing like when getting weekly changes

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I see, I just had a read through a MASA wiki article on water changes. That makes a lot of sense regarding all the other elements that I won't be testing for, so by that logic I'll probably just go for water changes to replenish levels.

On the other hand, if you are dosing something like Brightwell's NanoCode A and NanoCode B that have "calcium, potassium, and strontium in aragonite ratios, enhanced magnesium (relative to the aragonite ratios), and non-conservative minor* and trace elements in natural seawater ratios" wouldn't that achieve the same thing?

EDIT: though when I read the small print on those products, the one thing that they don't have is Iodide, and they recommend regular water changes with a quality salt mix or direct supplementation.

But then again you are losing the ability to water down nitrates and phosphates on dosing alone, which would have to be picked up by a reactor or macro right?

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
I'll take the water changes :) and worry about everything else if it becomes an issue later on.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Matt_84

Apr 30, 2012
Cooma
Yeh, waterchanges are the easiest
So much easier then testing everything, working out how much to dose, dosing, retesting....etc

Noro

May 6, 2012
Perth
Yeh, waterchanges are the easiest
So much easier then testing everything, working out how much to dose, dosing, retesting....etc
Absolutely right, I went with the water changes option. It makes more sense with a nano and I'll be saving on a dosing pump, supplements and test kits.

With most of the supplements I researched they need to be shaken prior to dosing. That would mean buying either those lab style magnetic mixers or a Coral Shop modular dosing system. It all makes for a very expensive exercise.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That's amazing how it can dose to a fraction of a mL, I'll definitely consider buying one if you have success programming it :D
You know I still haven't programmed this, hahahhaa. Still manually dosing ... really should get onto that this weekend. I tried once to run the pump for 1 minute and it was still going after 8, so I turned it off and haven't tried again yet. Really need to get it going now SPS are involved