Tank Journal Archive

Dosing Pumps &ro Setup
mounted dosing pumps. Needed to use some light angle galv to help get rid of a slight cup in each door. Perfect now.
IMG_1864.JPG

IMG_1865.JPG

Built two clear RO boxes to supply ROto the sump. I will have RO plumbed up to it and have a ball valve that can take town water pressure without leaking. Of course I'll be installing a upstream block valve in order not to rely solely on the float. Only using it to top up then close the block valve. The two containers will be connected and holds 26 Litres total. Beats having a big container standing next to the tank. Also I went this direction because I'll have room due to the ghost box mounted on the back centre. Good use of space I thought.

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1866.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

Will you be using an auto shut off valve in conjunction with the float valve to control your RO unit?

Looks great!
There will be a manual valve for opening and closing the flow. If I forget to close it the float will hold the level until I remember to close it. I have however I have thought of a electronic timer that will automatically open every couple of days for a set time. Filling only part of the containers and not necessarily all the way to the top. I guess over time I will be able to gauge how much gets used so the float becomes a backup safety rather than a stop on level. The containers are visible and I will always be able to cast an eye over them and see where i'm at with level. The whole idea is to not have to worry about filling a container every two weeks. Should be good! Ill make sure to set it up with redundancy... I know all about spills... over that!

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Hey Gerhard, so your float is connected to your RO unit which is connected to your mains water?

Second question from your float chamber does that go to another type of auto top up unit?

Hey Gerhard, so your float is connected to your RO unit which is connected to your mains water?

Second question from your float chamber does that go to another type of auto top up unit?
All good questions...

1.RO float is connected to my 7 stage RO/DI unit in the laundry. All plumbed through the roof.

2.The two chambers will be joined by a 1/2 inch pipe with a T in the middle. This then reduces to a 1/4 flex line that feeds a float valve in the sump. In the end I only intend to keep enough water in the top boxes so as to not overflow the sump in the even that anything goes wrong and the RO gets dumped into the sump. This is worse case though... shouldn't happen and is no more dangerous than what I've been doing the last 8 years. I like gravity fed top ups for some reason... even though I have a ATO I still seem to stick to the old float valves.

Nov 17, 2011
Northside Brisbane, 4017
Float valves are perfect mate.
They will last a decade without fear of letting you down.
May I suggest installing a pressure limiting valve of say 500kpa in conjunction with an auto shut off valve before your RO set up. For $70 you will almost have complete fail safe and piece of mind:)
https://www.psifilters.com.au/valves/10436-auto-shut-off-valve-for-water-leak.html?search_query=Auto shut off&results=9
Great advice.

That is exactly how mine has been setup :)