Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Dr_Schell's (Chris's) 5ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft Mixed tank
This is my mixed soft coral, hard coral, fish, macro-algae tank. Currently running a 4ft, 8tube T5 lighting system with 2 actinic and 6 10,000k tubes.

I run a marine sources skimmer in the sump which is rated for 2x the size of the tank. Also have a deep sand bed in the sump and a Nitrate/Phosphate reactor which runs on biopellets. which generally lasts around 6 months. I also use a filter sock to remove the fine sediments before they enter the sump.

I dose with calcium, trace elements and feed the corals live phyto-plankton.

Fish in the system are 11 Chromis, blue tan, yellow tang, pair of bangai cardinals, pair of 6 line wrasse, pair of Melanopus clownfish, pair of Oscillaris clownfish, 1 copper-banded butterfly and a jewel (carpet) blenny. Invert wise, other than the corals, there are 4 bubbletip anemones (clone 1 - female - all derived from a single specimen), 1 bubble tip anemone (clone 2 - male), 3 strombs (2 female and 1 male), 20 + Nassarius pullus (these breed like wildfire and generally remain in the sand bed), 3 trochus, 1 blue linkia starfish, 2 orange fromia starfish, multiple, limpets, chitons, stromella and a single abalone (small) snails which came on the live rock, and 8 Pepermint shrimp (these breed constantly and I occasional raise their larvae to sell).

In this tank, the 6 line wrasse regularly spawn, the melanopus clowns breed once a month and the bangai cardinals regularly reproduce (I have included a pic of the male bangai with a mouth full of eggs)

I have attached some images of my tank. My appologies for the photo quality and the state of the Xenia in the top right hand side of the tank which I have just used to make frags (decapitated).

IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Oh, I forgot to mention. For flow, I run a Tunze wavebox (for wave action) and I have a SCWP attached to a 4000L/H pump which provides surge action. I also have a 4000L/H pump in the sump which returns water to the display tank

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
looks great mate havent got to see your setup before. are you happy with the colouration that those t5's put out? maybe nextime you should change the bulb selection up abit?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I am not so concered with the colour rendering, as I keep the fish primarily to study their behaivour and for utility purposes. I have notcied the fastest coral growth with all 10,000K bulbs, but find it a little "too" stark. Looks better with the 2 actinic and does not generally compromise the growth of the coral. I generally find that under the 10,000K bulbs I can frag the Xenia (i.e. decapitate it) every 3-4 weeks. Under such lighting the frags attach to their rock base in 2 days and I can sell them off within 1.5-2 weeks. Helps to fund the hobby and spread captive bred specimens.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
you wouldnt like my bulb selection i dont even have one close to 10k :unsure
all blues attinics or purples

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
The beauty of marine fish/invert keeping is that everyone has their own preferences. There is no "one" correct way to do anything and it all comes down to the purpose if the tank. I must admit, I do love the look of blue bulbs, but I have found for my purposes, they just do not facilitate the desired behaviour that I want from my aquarium inhabitants.
The beauty of this formum thus far (and I hope that it continues), is that no-one forces their opinions onto others. I feel that we can only provide advice on what has worked for ourselves. :welcome

Coastie

Jul 16, 2011
Central Coast NSW
Wow, I really like what you have achieved in your big tank, its hard to get that non sparse look in larger tanks. I agree 100% with you about this forum being what it is.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the depthis great, allows for the creation of nooks and crannies that the fish can swim in withough encroaching on the open swimming area.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Not really sure. I consider myself more of an anemone/fish keeper. I have only recently diversified into keeping corals. What are your recommendations? My ammonia, nitrate, nirite and phos are all 0. My pH is at 8.3, cal is 480 and carbonate is 179

Well Calcium is usaully preferred around 450. With corals selections, Acans, zoas and morphs are a great start Matt Green has alot of zoas and morphs for sale. Since your nitrate and phosphates are so low you can feed your corals and fish alot more food.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I feed the fish lrge quantities of food (keeps the Chromis schooling and stops them killing each other). I have a nitrate/phos reactor and a deep sand bed in the sump that keeps the levels low.