Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Live microalgae (nanochloropsis oculars) and day old live brine Shrimp whin I have them. The anemones are fed a Block of "Marine dinner" every second day.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
id say more the opposite.
nitrates should be as close to 0 as possible in any system.
remember the base of what we are trying to do.
replicate the ocean,
in the ocean nitrates are non existant, phosphate is non existant, and the water is plentifull of minor elements and live plankton.

phosphates should be kept as low as possible, as close to 0.00 as you can.
same with nitrates.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks for the tip :-)
Still deciding on the next corals. The acros and pocillis are growing relatively quickly. Don't want to crowd the tank too much!

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
would be great if you could post the link to the information for that jonny would love to read it.

here's a discussion on it. I have to find the actaul info.. I had it in my bookmakr bar once. Basically some corals tolerate nitrates and thrive under it while some don't. There is this guy in germany that has a 300 gallon heavily dominated sps tank and his nitrates are always zero and he has to add amino acids and nitrate into the system for his sps corals! I was like :O Then i did some research and found out more about it.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi Guys,
Just thought that I would post a video so you could see the Tunze Wavebox in action. As mentioned, I have a SCWD which alternates mass water movement from one side of the tank to the other. Pumps out approx 200L of water every three minutes and then switched sides. This simulates currents. I also have the Tunze wavebox which creates wave movement (waves rolling over the surface of the ocean). These two pumps combined means that every part of the tank has water-movement (i.e. no dead spots).
The Tunze Wave box has the added feature of having a photocell, so when the lights turn off (and the moon lights switch on), the wavebox stops, and doesn't start up again until the morning when the lights once again turn back on.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes, very much so. The mass water movement circulates nutrients and oxygen, while the rocking action breaks up any linear flow. Polyp extension dramatically increased once I installed the wave box

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Yes all comes down to the timing of the pulses. If the timing is incorrect, nothing will happen. The pulse timing will also determine the height of the wave

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
The beauty of marine fish/invert keeping is that everyone has their own preferences. There is no "one" correct way to do anything
The beauty of this formum thus far (and I hope that it continues), is that no-one forces their opinions onto others. I feel that we can only provide advice on what has worked for ourselves. :welcome
I couldn't agree more, BTW nice set up mate :)

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Hi Dr, what is the coral on the right of the big bommie...the red plant like one....looks great and nice colour

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Cheers. Very easy to achieve - I use the Tunze Wavebox. There are two sizes. The Nano (the small version of the one in my tank) is suitable got tanks 200L to 600L. They retail for around $250. In my opinion, it would be money well spent. It is a very good brand, very durable product and have exceptionally low operating costs. They have a photo csensor in them, so whe the light turns off, the waves stop. Beautiful effect if you have moon lights and allows the fish to sleep in peace.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Been re-aranging my tank, cannot get it just right. Added a few more SPS and re-located some of the soft corals. Still doesn't feel quite right ye, but it is slowly getting there. Posted a video to track the progress

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Looking forward to more updates....

Do the SPS have any reaction to the Xenia say if they grew next to eachother?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, have been away from the tanks fro some time (away with work). the xenia have grown substancially and have crowded some of the sps corals which has caused some dieback. Trying to mangage the situateion in the short term as I will be away with work for a few more weeks. Amasing how tanks evolve when left to their own devices