Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Very nice tank Doc!!!

Were they little cardinal fry in the plastic container?

What sort of weed is it you have growing in there?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, but if I look at the surface for too long, I get motion sickness!
Has a great effect on the fish and inverts though. Wave boxes are worth their weight in gold and you can get a great action with only a single pump!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I don't suffer from motion sickness but looking at wave maker tank does get me feeling a little queezy :)

Do your bangai breed often?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Bangais have a batch of babies at approx 5 week intervals. Unless I take them off the male, they do not hatch. There is a large pump (think it is 2500L/H may be more) sitting behind the rockwork. Attached to this is a SCWD, the outlets are on either side of the tank (the PVC pipes). Water from the sump comes up though the overflow (pipes come up though it) and the cleane water is released at the surface in the middle of the tank.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Ok Guys and Gals, for those of you that don't know, all of my aquariums (including this one) were subject to 3 days without power. This resulted in the loss of most of my invertebrates (corals mainly).

As a result of this, I have had to re-establish this system. Most of the fish are the original occupants and some in the inverts pulled through. However, most of the larger corals have had to be replaced.

Seeing this as an opportunity, I have overhauled my lighting system (now running twin 120W LED units) to enhance coral growth and removed copius numbers of Nassarius snails (that actually benefited from the power-outage) and Turbo snails that had bred up in the system. Many thanks to those on the reefuge that have donated coral frags, they are much appreciated.

Here are some pictures of the tank as it now stands. Note that in this tank, the coraline algae survived. In my other tanks, it perished. However, none of the macro survived in this tank.

IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
thanks, no pumps running (no power or generator). Only pump was me standing on a ladder scooping out (withe a 20L bucket) water and tipping it in. Very tired after that effort, but worth it to save the lives of my pets. Loss 4 fish (the breeding 6-line wrasses, a blue-eyed cardinal and a coral beauty). An additional fish (female melanopus clown died yesterday (as a result of oxygen depletion related injuries incured during the power loss).