Tank Journal Archive

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All,
Most of the videos that I have posted don't really capture the beautiful behaviour of the Chromis that I keep. Males are often guarding eggs which reduces the school size. This morning, I noticed that all the chromis were out, and I added 2 extra fish (the night before). So here are some videos that show the eay that the fish move together. Chromis really are a beautiful species best kept in a school. In my experience that are very peaceful (except males guarding eggs that can be vicious to ALL types of fish) and when kept in odd numbers (not sure why this is), they tend not to bicker within the school.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
An update on this system. All going strong, however, lost one of my display Gonipora. Not sure why, and it is unusuall as the second Goni located in proximity is thriving and encrusting onto the adjacent rock. Anyway, the Goni has been replaced with an SPS. As a bonus, an acrocrab came as a hitch-hiker, if you look closely, you may see it in the video below.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All,
Was watching my fish this evening and noticed that the Bangai Cardinalfish were preparing to spawn. I managed to capture some of the courtship on film. However, the actual laying and fertilisation of these eggs could not be filmed as the fish moved out of view.
Of interest is that the eggs were not immediatly taken into the males mouth (usual), but instead, the remained attached to the females ovipositor. It was not until she 'flicked' them loose that he took them into his mouth for incubation.

Below, I have provided a photograph of the pair (male in front with a mouth full of eggs), a film of the courtship, and a film of the delayed egg transfer (ie male following the female). To identify the sexes in the films, the male has a 'broken' first dorsal spine. Note that in courtship, it is the female that determines the timing and is the most active participant.

bangai Cardinals.JPG

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Yeah, bangii's are definitely on our livestock wishlist for our 4' reef ♥

Oh, and just in case you were interested, Chris, I have resisted the urge to press "like" on a couple of occasions now lol