Reef Discussion

Shaunmills

Jan 1, 2016
Melbourne
Dreaded Aiptasia?
Have been watching the tank inhabitants move around over the last few days and came across this one.
DSC_0604.JPG

Thinking it's aiptasia however not 100% sure as it retracts reasonably quickly when touched and is whiteish rather than the brown\red that I've seen online.

Have a few of them popping out of the same rock but this is the largest one (5 cent coin)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Yep that is it. I would get on top of them now before they spread.
Don't play around with them too much because they eject their eggs (or something else?) and spread.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
In your case - Pull the rock out, hold the rock upside down , scrape the aiptasia off the rock with a large needle. Rinse affected area with tap water, return to tank.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
In your case - Pull the rock out, hold the rock upside down , scrape the aiptasia off the rock with a large needle. Rinse affected area with tap water, return to tank.
I have these in places i can not get to unless i put the whole tank apart

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I have these in places i can not get to unless i put the whole tank apart
I have recently had success with Peppermint Shrimp. I put 4 of them in my 6ft tank and it took a couple of weeks for them to eat all of the Aiptasia.
They were only small peps too.

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I have recently had success with Peppermint Shrimp. I put 4 of them in my 6ft tank and it took a couple of weeks for them to eat all of the Aiptasia.
They were only small peps too.
I put 5 in a couple of months ago, they were very small,I haven't seen them sinceo_0

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
I try this with 4 pieces of my rock, now i have high phosphates, for the first time ever, could doing this cause it? or is there some other problem