Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Drilling glass
I am soon going to be drilling a hole into my tank to accomodate a sump - only issue is the tank is full. With some help, i have an overflow box inside and so drilling the hole behind this shouldnt creat any issues as all the dust will fall into the box and not the tank.

I was wondering if i lowered the water level, can i drill a hole for a return while there is water in the tank? I would be carefult to catch all the dust/shavings that come off however im unsure as to if the weight of the water will make the glass crack easily? My alternative for the return is to just run the piping over the top of the tankand back down into the water but it doesnt look very nice -

Any tips on drilling glass would be greatly appriciated!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Personally, I would not do it - I think you are putting too much at risk.

Now, I have never drilled glass but I have seen some pictures of it being done. I would think that drilling a vertical surface would be very difficult for two reasons:
  1. You need to go very slowly and maintain even pressure - much easier to do with a horizontal surface where you can basically use the weight of the drill to provide the pressure. Try holding a drill horizontal for a long period of time without moving it too much ..........
  2. You need to keep the holesaw cool - this is normally done by using a putty of some sort and creating a dam wall around the hole which is filled with water. I don't see how this can be done on a vertical surface.
You also need to consider what you will do if the glass cracks :oops:

This thread might provide some ideas http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603816 - there are some pictures of drilling a vertical hole so it may be possible.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
skimz overflows are a great option. darren has one in store i think send him a message :rolleyes

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
yea, its for the classroom tank. Still working out the design and looking out for a cheap tank that i can modify - i have a 30 inch that would fit but its too high - so i dont think it will work once its in the stand - we will see

blueblooded

Jul 12, 2011
qld brisbane
I am soon going to be drilling a hole into my tank to accomodate a sump - only issue is the tank is full. With some help, i have an overflow box inside and so drilling the hole behind this shouldnt creat any issues as all the dust will fall into the box and not the tank.

I was wondering if i lowered the water level, can i drill a hole for a return while there is water in the tank? I would be carefult to catch all the dust/shavings that come off however im unsure as to if the weight of the water will make the glass crack easily? My alternative for the return is to just run the piping over the top of the tankand back down into the water but it doesnt look very nice -

Any tips on drilling glass would be greatly appriciated!
it can be done and it not that hard just make yourself a templet out of say 19mm timber with the same size hole in it as you want to drill in the glass clamp it on and use that as a guide have a pump up garden sprayer with water in it and spray as you drill take it slow and there wont be a problem:cool:

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Go on - you know you want to do it :) I would give you a hand cleaning up the mess when the glass cracks but I am a bit too far away ;)

Seriously though, if you are going to do it I would put some heavy tape on the back of the glass (this will stop any bits of glass falling out the back) and also clamp a block of wood on the back to provide some support and stop the saw breaking through when the cut is almost completed.

Hey Jonathang, isn't the tank tempered glass? If so you can't drill it. You will need to use a overflow. Use a overflow that doesn't get air coming back into it, so the syphon doens't stop.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
I cant see a sticker or any idication that it is tempered glass - i cant get in underneath beacause it is full of water - that is my dilema - i dont want to drill unless i know it is going to work! i am in a pickle - Does anyone have an overflow that they can recommend?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Its very easy to build your own out of PVC pipe using all standard fittings and just glue them together. Very simple, almost fail safe(as much as any HOB overflow). Have a read of this thread, its my tank but when it was running as a freshwater planted tank. I am about to build a new and improved version of this overflow which will be even safer and quieter.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/130787-diy-hob-overflow-sump-filter-who.html

the overflow i built in that thread is all 20mm pvc and handled about 1000lph if you upsize the pipe then it will handle significantly more.

Just food for thought.

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
thanks for the offer vern, it looks like a nice unit - ill keep it in mind if i cant work out a DIY option and resort to purchasing one :)

VaultBoy - that is something i was thinking about - i like the concept and looks faily straight forward. How did you find it was for noise? Being in a classroom, noise is my kriptonight!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
It made less noise than the return pump I was using, unless you were standing right next to it when you could hear a bit of sucking/gurgling. It is easy to make quieter with some sponge over the air inlet.

The new one Im going to make will work with a full syphon and another drain. Should be nearly silent and im going to run 2 side by side to make it almost failsafe.

I'll probably do a write up in the DIY section so there can be a better structured discussion about the pros and cons of constant syphon overflow systems

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
It made less noise than the return pump I was using, unless you were standing right next to it when you could hear a bit of sucking/gurgling. It is easy to make quieter with some sponge over the air inlet.

The new one Im going to make will work with a full syphon and another drain. Should be nearly silent and im going to run 2 side by side to make it almost failsafe.

I'll probably do a write up in the DIY section so there can be a better structured discussion about the pros and cons of constant syphon overflow systems
Great idea a diy showing how to make it would be great for people wanting to make one without having to drill for a weir

Cheeko

Aug 3, 2011
Brisbane
You could always go buy a cheaper tank buy a diamond class hole saw from bunnings there not expensive
have a practice its not that hard just have to go real slow

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
You could always go buy a cheaper tank buy a diamond class hole saw from bunnings there not expensive
have a practice its not that hard just have to go real slow
To add to the above, make sure you add water while you are drilling the hole. maybe use a cutout of carboard to hold the diamond drill bit in the correct spot to ensure a clean cut. alot of people use playdo or similar rolled into a snake and create a form of dam around the area where the hole is being drilled to hold water while drilling.