Reef Discussion

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Duncan coral placement
Hey guys, got a very nice piece of duncan from the fragup in vic yesterday, but im struggleing to get any response from it in my tank, all other frags have some slight polyp extension, except this guy, is it too early to expect it from the duncan or do i have it in the wrong place, atm it is burried in the sand bed as there is nowhere else for it and i dont realy know what it needs lighting/flow wise.
Cheers

Shantelle

Sep 18, 2011
Warrnambool
A few of mine that I have from lfs are just sitting on my sandbed doing fine. The one I got from yesterday hasnt opened yet, i think they like moderate to strong water movements (i think!)

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Mine hasn't opened yet either. It did start to look like it was going to, then it closed back up. I think it's something that will just take a while to adjust.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
alright thanks guys, im getting surprising results from the acros, leather and even the half of a fungia i managed to grab, all are extending, i dont know wether its my eyes or some dodgy business going on with the leather frag, but it looks like its trippled in size :eek

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
alright thanks guys, im getting surprising results from the acros, leather and even the half of a fungia i managed to grab, all are extending, i dont know wether its my eyes or some dodgy business going on with the leather frag, but it looks like its trippled in size :eek
Leathers have a tendency of doing that. My oldest leather has days where it's really happy is is huge, and other days it has a sook and is a fraction of its size.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
This thing freaked me out, it was like a cm square, and now it has 3 2" long branchens, and here i am going WTF!!.
Lovely colour tho, fluro green, i dont have enough in my tank. (not sarcasm :p )

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I'm going to quite smuggly tell you that my duncan has fully extended (ner ner!). I have it placed it on a rock high in the tank, making sure its stable and can't rock around in the flow, on its side with the polyps facing upwards toward the light. Then you leave it alone, don't touch it or knock it, and it will come out.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
With the one I got from another frag meet, I placed it mid height in my tank. At one stage it was closer to the powerheads, but it just shrunk up and I thought I was going to lose it, then I shifted it to a low flow part of the tank, and it just took off. Now it has a new head starting out the side of one of the bigger ones.
Try a low flow part of the tank with decent light and it should do good. This coral was under DIY LEDs, and in the softy tank at reeflections, so it might be flow which is closing it up

ifishnow

Nov 14, 2011
A duncan was the very first coral I ever got nearly 12 months ago and it is still there hosting my coral goby, it's not branched so looks like a bunch of chrysanthamums when all polyps are out. It likes to be in an area with "indirect flow". All the polyps aren't out all the time, it seems to depend on temp, how long lights have been on for etc etc. I feed it every so often.

2012-03-13165703.jpg
2012-03-13171221.jpg
2012-03-13171301.jpg

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
A duncan was my first coral too, mine likes full light and any current thats not blasting it. If any of the polyps are near a coral,rock glass etc then it won't come out until there is enough room.

Glad to see i didn't kill that beautiful group of duncans in my first ever effort at fragging!!

My duncans in the past have enjoyed mid light to low light and low flow.. direct feeding of powdered shrimp or something and new heads will be popping up all over the place.. :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Duncans are one of those corals that will drive you nuts. One day happy as larry, the next shrivelled and looking dead. It can take quite a while for them to settle in, so don't dismay yet. Ours had two heads, and one is nicely open the other is still closed.