Reef Discussion

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Dyeing Pvc Pipe
Has anyone done this before?

I am looking to dye my return pipe black so that it blends in with the background - any hints appreciated.

I will be researching it later tonight and will post anything I find...

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I've always wanted to try etching pvc pipe with clear plumbing primer and then simply spray painting it, your thoughts?

E

ezza

I've always wanted to try etching pvc pipe with clear plumbing primer and then simply spray painting it, your thoughts?
I think the paint would lift very easily being underwater. Paint would need to be pretty miraculous to stick long term. I suppose the question to ask is "how do manufacturers colour pipes?"

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I suspect the extra layer of paint would sheer off when pressed into a joiner ??
I think the paint would lift very easily being underwater. Paint would need to be pretty miraculous to stick long term. I suppose the question to ask is "how do manufacturers colour pipes?"
The primer might fix the paint to the PVC ??

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I did find this video

They use a Rit Dye mixed with a PVC 'cleaner'. From my reading, the key ingredient required in the cleaner is methyl ethyl ketone - so, according to the MSD this product should be ideal

upload_2016-1-16_20-33-5.png

Hopefully, I can get the products tomorrow.

E

ezza

You can buy Rit dye in the supermarket laundry stuff aisle (though sometimes their dye selection is limited), otherwise Spotlight stores sell the whole range.

E

ezza

Krylon fusion paint for plastics.
On their website there's a FAQ, they don't recommend it for "marine settings" and that was about a guy covering a boat name. I don't think it will last in contact with water.

My aqua one aquarium has the white painted plastic trim at the top where the hood goes. Over the last year in particular, all the paint inside the top which is above the glass bracing, is crumbling and coming away from the frame. It ends up in the water and generally pisses me off for being a poor design decision on Aqua One's part. It makes me want to avoid painted plastic in the future. It's better for colour to be added to the plastic at manufacture.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
It's 2016 and we can't successfully paint our sump pipe work , the government have banned hover boards !!!
What other first world problems will I need to face today? I am getting anxiety!!!:D

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Not sure if it helps at all, but my local total Eden sells 40mm pipe and plumbing in black. Not any other sizes for some reason though :/

Tom H

Jan 3, 2016
Gisborne
I don't know if it's suitable for a marine aquarium, but black poly pipe and fittings might work? Maybe you could cut a length of poly that's a larger diameter and slide it over the PVC?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I also tried boiling the PVC parts in a dye/water mix - this resulted in minimal colouration to the PVC, but they did shrink!!

I then tried adding the priming fluid to the boiling water (warning - this can be dangerous and the fumes are not something you want to breath in !!!) - again, this resulted in minimal colouration to the PVC.

Both of these things were copied from the Internet :rolleyes

More research required :reading

I'm not sure why the dye won't mix with the priming fluid - it sort of beads on the bottom, like adding water to oil :confused: I suspect I need a different type of dye or a different type of priming fluid.