Tank Journal Archive

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Entry #1 - Tank Almost Ready
Hi guys!

So I have filled the tank and let it cycle. It has been 4 weeks since I first filled it, but I added another rock to it around two weeks ago. I checked my parameters and all is well. I did my cycle without lights turned on for two weeks and I have almost no algae in the tank, so I am not sure what steps I should take next.

I am thinking a small fish to start with, and then if there is a shitload of algae to get a small clean up crew. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have had the lights on for about a week now and still nothing. Rock fucking stank when I put it in though, I got it from Reeflections. I have still had no algae though which I guess does not seem normal. Will there be a lot of algae soon?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
it really depends but generally yes, the algae is part of the maturation cycle. Providing all your levels are right you could look at adding fish very slowly. What are you looking at keeping?

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey dude! Well... shit. I have had no algae at all but my tank parameters are now stable.

I am looking at

1 x Clown Fish
2-3 x Coral Goby

That is pretty much it.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
never kept coral gobies but I think they are territorial? Others with a bit more know how than me will advise on them.

Clown would be ok to add now if all levels are good, tank bred are very tough.

Algae isnt really a problem anyway, just all part of it. Fish won't drop dead cause you have some grass growing!

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My coral goby is a bit territorial with other gobys and blennys. I have heard that you either need one clown goby, or a group (or a mated pair) @Priscacara kept two together in a small tank and I think one ended up jumping.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Mate, you might find that the algae outbreak might take a few weeks to really ramp up. When I cycled my grow out system it took a couple of weeks of the lights being on before the algae even really started. Even then, it took a couple more weeks from signs of algae to "how am I ever gonna clean this mess up?".

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
I had 2 coral gobies in a 50L but the bigger one picked on the smaller, moved the bigger into the main tank and that same night the smaller one tried to fly without success. I have a feeling it got too close to the coral banded shrimp though and only had one way to go but that's just my theory.

E

ezza

Not meaning to divert the convo... But my LFS keeps asking if I'm ready to stock my tank yet... Knowing full well I only filled it last week. I've read endless amounts on cycling and I get it.. But even Eric Borneman mentions in one piece he wrote that it is advantageous to add selected hardy inverts, corals and even fish to the tank to actually aid the cycle. The fish obviously create ammonia and the clean up crew process the waste and these mysterious select corals aid oxygenation via photosynthesis. So I really am curious about why I am being urged to buy things when they know that it's supposedly too soon... Or is it? What am I missing?

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
Not meaning to divert the convo... But my LFS keeps asking if I'm ready to stock my tank yet... Knowing full well I only filled it last week. I've read endless amounts on cycling and I get it.. But even Eric Borneman mentions in one piece he wrote that it is advantageous to add selected hardy inverts, corals and even fish to the tank to actually aid the cycle. The fish obviously create ammonia and the clean up crew process the waste and these mysterious select corals aid oxygenation via photosynthesis. So I really am curious about why I am being urged to buy things when they know that it's supposedly too soon... Or is it? What am I missing?
It might be misguided advice to increase the amount of ammonia produced, which will in turn increase the resulting types of bacteria so overall your tank ends up with a decent start point. I just threw in a couple of prawns and kept adding food to the tank every couple of days to get the process started. This also maintained a higher level of bacteria but I don't think it's really needed. There's a crapload of stuff on your rock which will kick things off, that's why everyone says just wait until things stabilise and then slowly add stuff. Each addition will require a rebalance of bacteria levels to cope with the extra crap being produced. Adding anything now will just reduce the overall health and lifespan of the animal/coral/CUC.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
Holly your information is correct for a cycling tank, it does seem that the nitrogen cycle is complete here though.

But yes, there is no reason whatsoever these days to put a fish through a cycle when there are so many safer ways to do it without harming anything.

Remember a lfs is just that, a shop. They are a business so of course will often give you the advice which results in you buying something, there are the odd few that are honest at least.

To answer the question, you are not really missing anything, as fish keepers we just have to make a call as to what is more important to us, waiting a little bit longer for the cycle to finish or endangering the fish and shortening their lifespan.

E

ezza

I figured they just want me to spend more money. I'm all out for now though. When husband realises how much I've spent on Thursday, I will be in T-Rubble.

I agree that exposing fish to toxic levels of things is not particularly fair or humane.

Oh! And @holly , I added a prawn and 4 tiny bits of crab food for my little crabbies that live in the rocks so they don't get hungry. They're so cute.

Spudnic

Apr 6, 2012
Geelong, Victoria
The best tip anyone can give you for a Fluval Edge is, Don't rush! wait and take your time, save the tears of losing a fish and wiping your tank by just waiting a few more weeks.

Took my tank a long time to get established to a point where i didn't kill anything and that the coral started to grow! I did however beef the filter and lights up, also over killed on the flow, plus 20% water changes every week kept everything happy.

They are great little tanks and a lot of fun! Good luck and i will be watching to see how she grows!

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The best tip anyone can give you for a Fluval Edge is, Don't rush! wait and take your time, save the tears of losing a fish and wiping your tank by just waiting a few more weeks.

Took my tank a long time to get established to a point where i didn't kill anything and that the coral started to grow! I did however beef the filter and lights up, also over killed on the flow, plus 20% water changes every week kept everything happy.

They are great little tanks and a lot of fun! Good luck and i will be watching to see how she grows!
Thanks dude. I have Illumagic M-30's lighting it up. The stock filter/pump and a Koralia 900 for extra flow. I purchased a fish and coral today, and will upload later :)

Cheers!