Tank Journal Archive

Morphology

Not all mushrooms are kept in the dark...
Oct 6, 2013
Aspendale
Equipment
These systems are fairly basic and keep to the KISS principle.

Water changes: 2 1000Lt IBCs plumbed to a external spa pump and garden hose fitting. Using ASW but will be swapping to NSW. 10% a week.

Top ups: Smart ATO from a 20Lt bucket. As the tanks are covered we only go through a bucket a week.

SYSTEM 1: grow out and fragging

Skimmer: Octypus DDNW 250. When I get my PVC on this will be plumbed into the main return, along with all other reactors. A auto swabbie will be a future addition to keep maintenance down.

Nitrate/phos control and nutrient supply: Biopellets in a TLF550 reactor.

Phos control: TLF150 reactor with GFO

Other yuckies: TLF150 reactor with @K&J Aquatics carbon.

Movement: 1 x WP40 at one end, skimmer and other equipment at the other. These pumps can really move water! The return systems when plumbed will provide 5 more points of flow along the back of the tank to keep detritus from settling.

Lighting: DIY LED waterproof strip lighting (Equal strips of 5050 RGB and 5630 white) on a aluminium garage wall panel. The aluminium acts as a heat sink. The strips are glued on with heat glue as the glue on them isn't very good. Each 3 meter strip is on it's own driver/brightness control (manual). It's all rigged up to an appropriate computer power supply. These lights are geared to be growth spectrum and strength and are working very very well.

Additives: Seachem trace and plus alternating every 3 days or so. Reef roids and frozen once a week. Coral snow for Kh maintenance. A little Iodine once a week. The shrooms don't seem to utilise much else from the water as things stay pretty stable without any need for other additives.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Nitrate/phos control and nutrient supply: Biopellets in a TLF550 reactor.
I could never get pellets to work satisfactorily in a TLF550 as the size of the pipes restricted the flow too much. There are some mod's you can do (YouTube is your friend) to improve things but I never got around to trying any of these.

You may have a better outcome.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I could never get pellets to work satisfactorily in a TLF550 as the size of the pipes restricted the flow too much. There are some mod's you can do (YouTube is your friend) to improve things but I never got around to trying any of these.

You may have a better outcome.
Yes I know but I thought I'd give it a crack anyway :P im going to use a higher flow pump and check out you tube. I've inserted the different plastic meshes instead of the sponge. See how I go. If it's not good ill use the reactor for the other system and save up a while for a reef dynamics unit.