Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I have had an issue in the past with salt creep in the sump - mostly it has come from the bubbles breaking where the water enters the sump from the weir. I hope that this will be significantly reduced with my new full syphon system compared to the previous single durso, but, with not much else to day this afternoon I made up a custom filter sock holder which should also contain any bubbles etc.

I used some 3mm acrylic which I have had for a while and some dodgy Weld-On - this was well past its useful life but my design does not require any structural strength and it should hold together OK.

This is what I made - it is basically just a box, with a tray for the filter socks, and a lid.

On the right hand side I have drilled a number of 10mm holes to act as an overflow if the filter socks get blocked - these are behind a 20mm lip so that the water will only exit through these holes if both socks are blocked.
Overflow-4.jpg

With a filter sock installed - they are a relatively tight fit in the hole to ensure that most of the water goes through the socks rather than under them.
Overflow-3.jpg

Complete with lid and a test pipe.
Overflow-2.jpg

And, installed in the sump - I still need to complete the plumbing of the overflow pipes etc. I also need to move one of the baffles in the sump as my skimmer won't fit anymore :banghead (but I did know that before I built the box :) )
Overflow-1.jpg

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I think you mentioned your new tank is coast to coast wier if my memory serves me... Will you run bean animal style full syphon and secondary overflow pipe to take care of the excess flow that the full syphon won't handle?
This also helps with the emergency/ normal start up of the siphons.
Back to my first thought about the coast to coast IMO as a concept it works way to efficiently at removing food stuffs in the water column.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I think you mentioned your new tank is coast to coast wier if my memory serves me... Will you run bean animal style full syphon and secondary overflow pipe to take care of the excess flow that the full syphon won't handle?
Yes

Back to my first thought about the coast to coast IMO as a concept it works way to efficiently at removing food stuffs in the water column.
I hadn't really thought of that o_0

E

ezza

That is awesome!! I have been contemplating filter socks lately. Mine clog up generally after 2 days in the sump. I have ended up with significant overflows way too many times now- I know better than to leave a clogged sock. With the positioning of my overflow pipe, I have only got a small spot to put the sock and the rim has to be at the right angle to allow spilling etc... There really has to be a better way to do this stuff across the board.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Loving the idea, but how do you remove the sock once it's dirty? Do you need to remove the plumbing?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I had a similar problem with a tight setup for the sock. The 2 return pipes have removable ends to them. I just cut them short enough to allow me to easily remove the sock and they just press fit back on. Just using a normal joiner glued to the end piece.

This shows both pipes going into the sock - no splashing or salt creep.

plumb-1.JPG

This is the secondary pipe removed to show the cutoff and press on end.

plumb-2.JPG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So, after a couple of months of thinking about things, and with a few things not working out quite like I was hoping, I have put my filter sock holder in the 'to be recycled' bin :eek

I have always liked the idea of having the water flowing over a tray containing the filter socks, so that is what I will be doing - something like this (this is not mine, but this is exactly what I am planning to do) :
ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m289_yodahart_120_20Build_Dsc05427_zpsc6fa4949.jpg

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m289_yodahart_120_20Build_Dsc05428_zps2f0f8813.jpg

It makes it very easy to remove/replace the filter socks and there is no danger of the sump overflowing of the socks get clogged.

I will need to move some of the baffles in my sump, but hopefully that should be done by next weekend.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So, after a busy weekend my sump has been transformed - moved some baffles to accommodate my new filter sock holder and to ensure that I can fit my skimmer. I would love a larger sump but there is always a compromise between something that is too small and something that doesn't leave enough room in the cabinet for everything else that needs to fit.

The cut parts for the filter sock holder
Filter-Sock-1.jpg

The completed holder, in place in the sump
Filter-Sock-2.jpg

And, my sump - it almost looks like the picture in Post #11 :)
Filter-Sock-3.jpg

@macca_75 does this look better :p

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
So, after a busy weekend my sump has been transformed - moved some baffles to accommodate my new filter sock holder and to ensure that I can fit my skimmer. I would love a larger sump but there is always a compromise between something that is too small and something that doesn't leave enough room in the cabinet for everything else that needs to fit.

The cut parts for the filter sock holder
View attachment 53823

The completed holder, in place in the sump
View attachment 53824

And, my sump - it almost looks like the picture in Post #11 :)
View attachment 53825

@macca_75 does this look better :p
Much. That's a pro looking setup coming along... How did you cut the circles out? Jigsaw or a router?

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Another option for the plumbing into socks is corrugated washing machine hose. I use it into my socks and you simply stretch it to make it longer and push it back together when you need access. Works a treat and being grey, no algae issues in the pipe.

index.jpg

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Neither, I have a hole saw that just happened to be exactly the right size - the filter socks are a very tight fit. I am hoping that the new ones I have ordered will be exactly the same size.
What size hole does your hole saw make?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
One thing I found worked a treat when I mounted my socks was to make the acrylic holder in two layers so that the rim of the sock sat below the water level by a couple of ml. This let the water coming into that area slightly drop into the sock, (not enough to make any noise) it also helps keep that area clean by not allowing any build up.
Just a suggestion.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Hang on, having a second look at yours, your pipe work just drops straight into your socks. My returns going into an adjacent chamber and over flow into the sock section. So ignore the previous post haha.