Reef Discussion

evaporation and fresh water top up
hey guys just wanting to know how much evaporation do you get on your tanks and how much fresh water do you add in total every week?,for me now that it is colder and i dont have a fan going on my tank i only get 1 liter of evaporation a day and only have to add 7 liters of fresh water a week, but in summer it was 2 liters of evaporation a day with the fan on and 14 lliters of fresh water a week some times even more!

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Varies a lot i seem to be the opposite, I winter when the heaters are running I loose 3% a day but in summer I only seem to loose around 1% per day

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I think the overall point here josh is that there is no one answer. It's different for everyone. Water surface, humidity, temperature and a heap of other factors will change it for everyone. Some people will loose bugger all, and others loose quite a bit. In my case that's nearly 10% of my system volume a week. Typically though, the bigger the tank, the more that gets lost :P

malau

Oct 13, 2011
one of my new small frag tank lose about 1.3L / day... I made a mark on the glass to check the volume of my tank :P

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I am running a eco lamps 70w LED sitting about 200mm off the water

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
My missus like to have the heating at about the same temp as the surface of the sun so that may explain it :p

ryanr

Jun 2, 2012
Templestowe
I add about 2L a day, summer or winter, on a 250L DT.

Humidity and temperature of water plays a factor in total evaporation too ;)