Tank Journal Archive

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
Everything Seems To Be Going Well!
Hey all!

Just an update.

Everything is going well, Ammonia and nitrite are reading 0, and nitrate isn't too far after that. I test the water not too long after adding some buffer and the carbonate hardness was at 14... A little too high, but I did a water change and I am not too concerned about it.

I went to the LFS today and purchased some synthetic sea water, a bit more insurance for when i do a water change.

The toadstool coral is open up nicely and the zoas have grown onto another rock! So it's going well!

Also, I got (well, my partner did) a black clown this afternoon - first fish!

Note in the second photo, there is a second mound of zoas growing! :D

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

The blue coral - I still haven't received a accurate ID! I have had Xenia and Cespitularia but I am not sure whether that is correct.

Also, from the top of the coral there are 3 small clear strings

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I also think its Blue Cespitularia as @ezza said, which is in the same family as Xenia. Does it have a glittery, metallic look to its flesh when you look closely at it?

Out of interest, what you feeding the new clown? I've been trying different foods on my two new fish - just bought some Tropical Bionautic yesterday on the advice of an LFS here and my clowns love it.

Ranibranch

May 30, 2015
Deception Bay
Lovely photos!! I can never get the colours right in mine. I've followed the advice but then I'm like, "ain't nobody got tiiiime for that!" So yeah! Looking good though!

Dean Lovett

Apr 11, 2015
Penrith
I also think its Blue Cespitularia as @ezza said, which is in the same family as Xenia. Does it have a glittery, metallic look to its flesh when you look closely at it?

Out of interest, what you feeding the new clown? I've been trying different foods on my two new fish - just bought some Tropical Bionautic yesterday on the advice of an LFS here and my clowns love it.
Up close, yeah. It's glittery and almost like a copper coloured glitter!

I have a dry pellet called ocean nutrition. That's what the LFS said he was feeding. But I'll grab some lobster eggs and some brine shrimp!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Lovely photos!! I can never get the colours right in mine. I've followed the advice but then I'm like, "ain't nobody got tiiiime for that!" So yeah! Looking good though!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

Up close, yeah. It's glittery and almost like a copper coloured glitter!
Then Blue Cespitularia it is. Cespitularia is the genus - we don't often get very exact in the hobby.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Also, I got (well, my partner did) a black clown this afternoon - first fish!
It's generally advisable to ask your partner (in a nice way ;)) not to buy any livestock for your tank without your OK - that way you don't end up with any inappropriate fish or corals purchased by well meaning partners.

This may not have happened in your case, but I have seen it happen many, many times over the years.

curly747

Aug 13, 2013
Curl Curl
Looks great dean. I hope you like black clowns.

Just wondering Agent M why you like this food. I need to buy some pellets after about two years on my last pack and would like to get something good.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Just wondering Agent M why you like this food. I need to buy some pellets after about two years on my last pack and would like to get something good.
My fish are used to frozen only and of the pellets I have tried so far (6 different types, 3 brands), the Bionautic is the only one they have eaten and it is slow sinking like it claims. So almost overnight I've become the poster-child for Bionautic - very happy about finding a food my fish actually like and don't have to be starved first to coax them into eating it. Have only been feeding it for 2 days so can't comment on how well my fish do on it. I also got a good reaction from them with the Tropical Krill Gran, however none was actually eaten.