Tank Journal Archive

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Feb 16
time for an update, lots changed,

* AIO pellets went spastic caused bacterial outbreak that killed all fish and coral
* pellets taken offline
* 57W UV added

tank is now running skimmer and UV only, nothing else for nutrient control.

anyways here are some pics

ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_9171_zpso5tblkms.jpg
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_2D105DD1_6336_4B74_A6FC_AC192D2A84E7_zpsjzcvlxag.jpg
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_9154_zpsqrx9ddlc.jpg
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_9161_zpshgraj5z6.jpg
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_9168_zpsykpjsfrx.jpg
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_9169_zpsqjqdtl3x.jpg
ai696.photobucket.com_albums_vv324_thepubenator_IMG_9172_zpszkref8iw.jpg

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
Do you mind sharing a bit more info about the crash, just so we understand the risks and can better avoid it?

For how long was it running without issues?
How much pellets and tank volume?
How long did it take to nuke the tank, since you notice the first signs of a problem?
Was there any visible signs, besides whiteish water?

Thanks

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
800L tank 1.5L pellets in a recirc reactor
nuked over a day or so
50 dead sps and fish with pea sized cysts were only visible sign and the smell of rotten eggs

bimbo

Oct 7, 2014
Newcastle
I ran some AIO pellets for a while and I hate them, the ones I had seem to sloth off so much sludge and was building up thick layers in the neck of my skimmer etc, wouldn't surprise me if it built up enough inside your reactor to significantly reduce the flow. I also chased my tail for a while trying to find the source of slow decline of SPS in my tank and ended up being that the AIO pellets I had (from Fish street) where very magnetic and so was the sludge they sloth off. Not a fan.

Great to see your tank is onwards and upwards once again - truly amazing tank

Feb 22, 2013
Oh gees. Ryan the comeback king lives! Sorry to again of another crash dude. So what are the plans to run with now? Algae scrubber? Macro refugium? Miracle mud? Trickle filter? Canister?;)

My using Zeo has become a bit tedious......and sucks when you take vacation. Great looking acros though and your photography skills have improved stacks!!

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
I ran some AIO pellets for a while and I hate them, the ones I had seem to sloth off so much sludge and was building up thick layers in the neck of my skimmer etc, wouldn't surprise me if it built up enough inside your reactor to significantly reduce the flow. I also chased my tail for a while trying to find the source of slow decline of SPS in my tank and ended up being that the AIO pellets I had (from Fish street) where very magnetic and so was the sludge they sloth off. Not a fan.

Great to see your tank is onwards and upwards once again - truly amazing tank
annoying , and thanks for the kind words

thepubenator

Competitions Guy
Nov 4, 2011
Oh gees. Ryan the comeback king lives! Sorry to again of another crash dude. So what are the plans to run with now? Algae scrubber? Macro refugium? Miracle mud? Trickle filter? Canister?;)

My using Zeo has become a bit tedious......and sucks when you take vacation. Great looking acros though and your photography skills have improved stacks!!
hey buddy, i plan on running this tank with only a skimmer and carbon when i frag. If i cant keep colours i will look into adding rowaphos but currently have no plans of it.
suprisingly this is the first time ive taken the SLR out in the 11 months ive had this tank running, must have been a fluke.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I did a big clean today - skimmer and sump. Decided to remove the AIO pellet reactor. (due to above comments) See what happens.
There was a whiteish coating of gunk through the sump and skimmer which I guess was attributed to the pellets.
I'm still dosing NoPox so I'll see if that handles the nitrates and if the sump stays cleaner.
I might add some more Marine Pure - I reckon it helps a lot.