Reef Discussion

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
Filter Socks - What Size?
I use filter socks in my sump. On a daily basis the trickle flow outlet on the bean animal, feeds into the filter sock. Catches some detritus but not so much that it needs changing daily or every few days. Also when I vacuum my substrate, the water feeds directly back to the sump through a filter sock to catch the crap. Yes I also separately vacuum substrate during water changes.

Until now I've been using 200 micron socks but they block up fast, mind you it means they are working well. I've also yet to find a sock / holder combination that firmly holds the sock in place.

I*f you use filter socks, what do you use?

Last edited:

IJG3145

Oct 27, 2015
South Gippsland
I originally had the one on the left, useless plastic ring too.

I currently run something very similar to the r/h one (200 micron). But as new, they were way too long for my sump and my then girlfriend cut them down and restitched them with nylon thread. She also modified them so that they come to point at the bottom, which is really handy when I'm vacuuming substrate through a filter sock in a sump. Way easier that way.

The holder I have came with that sock with the orange ring and I find it's just a bit too big for 4" socks, which can fall through. Hence why I'm looking to change. What size (micron) do you run?