Reef Discussion

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Filtering Solids (mysis, Brine, Food) - Incorrect Use Of Filter Sock?
What's the most efficient way in catching/filtering solids?

So what I observed yesterday when I was doing WC ... so I switch off return pump and everything when I'm about to suck out water .. then pour water in .. then return pump back on ... this is when all the solids (mysis etc dust quite solid) circling in the water column making it quite dusty per say.

I think ... (i think) it may have come out from return (sump) ... not sure about your return .. but in mine, when I turn it on, it sort of give that light explosion then dust out in DT.

I had a long filter sock which I take out and in and usually put it in the overflow pipe in the sump.

But what I noticed, the water tends to overflow (instead of seeping through the filter sock itself) ..

So the whole idea of filter sock so that the water seep through (and filtered), right?

If they overflow, meaning am not doing it right?

a52rivers.com_wp_content_uploads_2013_01_Mysis_Shrimp.jpeg

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
From what i understand, and im only a newb, if you sock is overflowing you could have too much flow for it, or it could be blocked / clogged up and require cleaning, if it is a flow thing you could maybe look into adding a second sock somehow.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
From what i understand, and im only a newb, if you sock is overflowing you could have too much flow for it, or it could be blocked / clogged up and require cleaning, if it is a flow thing you could maybe look into adding a second sock somehow.
you meant a sock inside a bigger sock in the overflow chamber?

but do we agree, overflow is no good hey? what's the point of filter sock if it's overflowing, as opposed to seep through the sock (filtered) ... the mysis or solids will go overflow and back to the sump.

well, that was just my logical thinking .. but logically that sounds correct, hence my usage of filter sock has been incorrect.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
I think I can confirm due to high flow, the filter sock (i can't remember 100 micron or 200 micron) is becoming ineffective.

The one that I have is like very dense and can even filter dust i think .. so i got a feeling it might be 200 micron.

I probably need something with larger density, as what I'm needing so far is filtering solid (bigger) particles from the water.

The Tunze 9410 post filter don't seem to do good job at it .. but perhaps it's because of the high flow that I have ..

Do you have any idea or suggestion or recommendation on what should I have to help with mechanical filtration?

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
you meant a sock inside a bigger sock in the overflow chamber?

but do we agree, overflow is no good hey? what's the point of filter sock if it's overflowing, as opposed to seep through the sock (filtered) ... the mysis or solids will go overflow and back to the sump.

well, that was just my logical thinking .. but logically that sounds correct, hence my usage of filter sock has been incorrect.
No, a second sock all together, like splitting your siphon / standpipe down into the sump into 2, and having each flow into its own sock.

Overflow isn't "Bad" its just not ideal, you will find there will still be a lot of water flow through the sock, just not as much as you would like. So your use is not exactly "Wrong". First thing i would do is make sure the sock is nice and clean, you may have a lot of detritus blocking it / clagging up the sock. How often do you clean it out? In the past i have taken mine out back and blasted it with a hose to really flush everything out.

If it is cleaned a lot, it could be a flow thing, meaning you have too much water trying to get through it, so a less dense filter sock would work, however lowering flow via a split downpipe, and filter sock section in the sump the fills and overflows into 2 separate socks, or something similar could solve the issue.

*found this on Google, not my image* Not the best photo, but shows the basic idea:

Attachments

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
@A Barnes yeah, unfortunately I don't think I can do such layout in my sump. It's already small as is now :D and I don't intend to use the emergency overflow (just in case).

The sock is clean and when I put it in (even when it was brand brand new) .. it was still ok for the first minute ... then 2nd minute .. it overflow .. so I think you're right .. I blame it on the high flow. The ball valve is all the way open.

So I think I may need either less dense filter sock (100 micron i think) or perhaps a sponge? we'll see .. i need to think this through and not to purchase something and have no use of it.

Thanks for your replies @A Barnes ! much appreciated.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
What style of filter sock are you using? is it the thin nylon style or the thick white wooly style.
I found that the nylon ones clog up really quickly and become useless, whereas the wooly ones catch everything but still let the water through.

A Barnes

Jan 29, 2016
You would be surprised as to what you can do with a sump, i have seen some insanely detailed, intricate, and amazing sumps that fit into the smallest of cabinets. Just takes a little "Out of the box" thinking, just means having a new sump designed and built, talk to your LFS about some options if they have a good tank builder.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
What style of filter sock are you using? is it the thin nylon style or the thick white wooly style.
I found that the nylon ones clog up really quickly and become useless, whereas the wooly ones catch everything but still let the water through.
hi @daveH it's the thick wooly style, but again, i think high flow causes it to overflow.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
You would be surprised as to what you can do with a sump, i have seen some insanely detailed, intricate, and amazing sumps that fit into the smallest of cabinets. Just takes a little "Out of the box" thinking, just means having a new sump designed and built, talk to your LFS about some options if they have a good tank builder.
yeah I know but i don't think i have the time yet to do mods.

@daveH is the thin nylon less dense than the thick white wooly one?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
The nylon ones (left) are only good about once or twice then even when you think they are clean the holes are clogged for ever. I started with them but got rid of them straight away.
The ones on the right filter perfectly but still allow the water through. Mine are good for about 3 days before I swap them out.
I use a power washer to clean them (turn them inside out) and it brings them back to brand new.
IMG_1469.JPG

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Another good tip to use the old nylon ones up is to take out the ring in the neck and put in elastic so that it just fits over your outlet nozzle (whatever) in the DT.
This is so that when you do a water change and disturb the contents of the sump, any mixed up crap doesn't get blasted into the DT when the return is turned back on. Give them a minute and take them off and rinse them out for next time.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
The nylon ones (left) are only good about once or twice then even when you think they are clean the holes are clogged for ever. I started with them but got rid of them straight away.
The ones on the right filter perfectly but still allow the water through. Mine are good for about 3 days before I swap them out.
I use a power washer to clean them (turn them inside out) and it brings them back to brand new.
View attachment 53209
Mine definitely the right hand side.

So what happened is: I put it under the overflow pipe (so 3/4 submerged) and water tends to overflow.

So theoretically speaking, if I got mysis shrimp flowing from weir down to overflow pipe, the shrimp will be overflowing to the sump.

potatocouch

Jan 16, 2014
Sydney
Another good tip to use the old nylon ones up is to take out the ring in the neck and put in elastic so that it just fits over your outlet nozzle (whatever) in the DT.
This is so that when you do a water change and disturb the contents of the sump, any mixed up crap doesn't get blasted into the DT when the return is turned back on. Give them a minute and take them off and rinse them out for next time.
aaaaah the return pipe in the DT ... yes yes .. that makes sense! just have to rubber band it or something .. a minute than take it out ... good idea @daveH !

or probably just hold them by hand (tightly).

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
The wooly sock takes two to three days to clog and nylon two to three hours.This is consistent with my findings as well..
I use the short elos wooly.

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
what size pump do you have for your return i can run my jabao dc 6000 though 1 sock for about 3-5 days. for my dc 12,000 lph i needed 2 socks.

socks i use are 150 micron so 200 micron would be able to take more flow

just confirm what size micron your using as they can go down to like 10 micron which wouldn't pass enof water.

Last edited:

riley

Apr 25, 2013
GYMEA BAY
.... you could put 3 eheim 2000's and still pass a 200 micron sock. id be checking the micron of the sock. the higher the number the more water that will pass.