Off-Topic

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
^ And that is precisely the reason why we need to break the bonds that Telstra have on this nation and follow a path that allows actual competition into the market... something FTTN will not bring.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
There are a few stories from the States that when Google Fibre started to roll out their network there were a few bugs in it resulting in down time for the users.
Google actually credited their clients accounts to make up for the downtime!!!! Can you imagine Telstra doing something like that? Or any Oz provider for that matter. Usually they won't even admit that there is a problem when the system is down!!!

Damo

Jun 4, 2012
Ipswich
Unfortunately I'm locked into telstra. To tell you the truth I'm i don't mind telstra i haven't really had an issue with them and the speeds i get are usually good. I have had only had 1 problem and after talking to them they sorted it for me. I found out early that if i talk to them in a calm voice and speak clearly they tend to get the ball rolling fairly quick. The only slow down when you go off. Made that mistake early on. The worst people i found was aapt. 12 weeks to get my phone even connected after connection and there crappy internet we went to telstra. Im on a good wicket with them at the moment so i dont know what to do. Might just wait a bit until they approach me with it.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Unfortunately I'm locked into telstra. To tell you the truth I'm i don't mind telstra i haven't really had an issue with them and the speeds i get are usually good. I have had only had 1 problem and after talking to them they sorted it for me. I found out early that if i talk to them in a calm voice and speak clearly they tend to get the ball rolling fairly quick. The only slow down when you go off. Made that mistake early on. The worst people i found was aapt. 12 weeks to get my phone even connected after connection and there crappy internet we went to telstra. Im on a good wicket with them at the moment so i dont know what to do. Might just wait a bit until they approach me with it.
This issue with Telstra isn't so much their network or their service. The issue with them is monopolistic behaviour; how they've massacred the market by charging wholesale costs for DSLAM equipment above what they've retailed their services for, and various other business practices only a monopoly with very deep pockets and no real concern for the customer has. Telstra once (I remember this conference well.. I was there) had a rep when asked about ADSL2+ technology that Internode and iiNet were starting to install into their exchanges, explain that at the time they had no interest in ADSL2+ technology because their clients "didn't want it". Not long thereafter they started installing it... when they realised that maybe their clients did want it, they thought they should install it. And proceeded to make it very difficult for their competition to install ADSL2 DSLAMs in the exchanges... and then offered at seriously overpriced rates, access to their own ADSL2+ DSLAMs. That's why there's Telstra hate.

Cheeko

Aug 3, 2011
Brisbane
Does that mean your first one on this forum to Join the Club LOL Thompson buses are is one of my customers,

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
Shit... We are on ADSL2+ but due to rotten copper we only get 1.9Mbps connection...

Did get 4 originally then helstra accidentally cut our line, put us on worse one and say too bad..

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Shit... We are on ADSL2+ but due to rotten copper we only get 1.9Mbps connection...

Did get 4 originally then helstra accidentally cut our line, put us on worse one and say too bad..
Shit hey? And the Libs want to reuse that rotten copper to give you a VDSL connection that apparently is going to be fast :P

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I was talking to the guy pulling the cable through out the front of my place (10 years experience doing this stuff for Testra) and he was saying Abbott's plan is absolute shit.
The whole system would be fucked if they stopped at the nodes, it would end up being such an unfair system as you moved further away from the node.
So it's end of May they will have Aspley finished and operational. We've decided to go with iinet, they seem to offerer the better of the deals. (1 TB @ 100/40)
It will actually be cheaper for me than the unlimited ADSL2 plan I'm currently on, especially since I can cancel my fucking Telstra phone account.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
The other problem with the lib plan is Turnbull admits that over time the rotten copper will have to be replaced on a needs basis due to the age of it. They would be slowly replacing it with fibre and in the medium/long term it would end up costing at least as much as labors plan... I would say probably more as labour costs are always going up..

They damn well know the ALP NBN plan is the best idea and admit it will have to happen but they, as usual, are just being stubborn and oppositional for the sake of it, so childish..

http://www.cio.com.au/article/459033/turnbull_nbn_could_cost_same_long-run/

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
The other problem with the lib plan is Turnbull admits that over time the rotten copper will have to be replaced on a needs basis due to the age of it. They would be slowly replacing it with fibre and in the medium/long term it would end up costing at least as much as labors plan... I would say probably more as labour costs are always going up..
And sadly, none of the infrastructure that they want to put into the Liberal FTTN can be used by the Labour FTTH at street level. All of the technology is completely different, and as they phase out the copper, it's not going to cost as much as - it's going to cost a shitload more than.

Everything from the cabinets on every street corner to the kit that terminates at your home will be completely different, and would need to be replaced in a migration from FTTN to FTTH - so long term really, no matter how you cut it, the Lib FTTN network is a complete pile of horseshit.
So all they're doing short term is offering to hand Telstra a fuckload more money for their money spinner - the copper network, let them still keep their monopoly, and waste billions of dollars on a short term solution that won't even get built in their first term only to get tossed after that by Labor, who'll then have to waste an entire term undoing the cock up Captain Catholic's crew has made - including wasting billions more dollars to get the necessary deals back in place to carry on with what they started in the first place.
In the end, a Liberal government is either going to have to do a quick arseaboutface and build FTTH, or they're going to set Australia back a decade very, very quickly and have nothing to show for it until they're thrown out again for being a government that doesn't want to spend money on anything significant.

Joele

Apr 24, 2013
Melbourne
it's not going to cost as much as - it's going to cost a shitload more than.
Well he didn't admit that (though I agree with you) but really it is damming enough that he will even admit that it will cost as much. Their whole stupid point is "it will cost far less to use our plan" and then Turnbull within weeks admits it will cost as much..

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Well he didn't admit that (though I agree with you) but really it is damming enough that he will even admit that it will cost as much. Their whole stupid point is "it will cost far less to use our plan" and then Turnbull within weeks admits it will cost as much..
I think the reality is that Turnbull is starting to realise that he can't land the killer blow that will sink FTTH as the best alternative. People from major ISPs/network builders/people who know their shit have been telling him for a long time that he's suggesting people use bicycles for travelling long distance with their families and is offering to build the bike path only wide enough for 2 bikes at a time.
There are people who have jumped ship to thinking that the Lib NBN is now suitable - because of some short term gain, low cost, and the idea that they don't think it's important yet. Said people sadly are too many in number, and unfortunately really don't see the bigger picture; they're just seeing the narrow minded bullshit that Turnbull has been churning out with the help of the Liberal biased media.

There are still plenty of questions that Turnbull won't answer - and all of them lead back to addressing real world costs. Costs I might add that under his proposal will be more directly funded by the tax payer than the Labour NBN does.
It's fairly clear he knows that lying about details this late is going to haunt him this close to an election. Labour will have people looking for holes in this proposal, and are likely to make a lot of noise about it very, very close to the election, so he's really stuck now having to make certain admissions when he has no other choice.

I don't know a single technical person with any significant long term experience in the industry (and no either political bias or vested financial interests) who can construct a logical argument as to why FTTN is the best way forward for this country based on what we know of the technology.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Interesting debate between Turnbull and Conroy this morning - details and video can be found here http://www.zdnet.com/au/hangout-with-turnbull-and-conroy-on-zdnet-7000014432/

I wish politicians were made to answer the question asked rather than the question they wanted asked.
I've been doing my best to avoid listening to either of them. Neither of them have the necessary knowledge or aptitude to discuss any real issues beyond paying for it. One of these men has some knowledge of the subject but is wrong and he knows it, the other has a frightening low level of knowledge on the subject despite being smart enough to listen to the advisers who actually know their shit and see the long term big picture but just happens to be on the currently loosing side of politics.