Off-Topic

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It didn't take you long to get connected :eek

With iinet it appears ??
Yep, I jumped on it pretty quick.
Within a couple of hours of seeing that the area had been turned on I setup my account with iinet and 4 days later NBN Co put the connection to the outside of the house and two days later (today) they came and installed the equipment inside - within an hour it was up and running.
I haven't even received the notice in the mail from NBN Co to say the area is now active.
HaHa

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
So jealous. We aren't even on the 3 year plan. Knowing my luck Liberal gets in and changes everything. Grrrrr

lorby

Nov 26, 2012
Yeah I wish my house was even on the 3 year plan. A few streets away from me gets it this year or next year but my street doesn't even have a colour on their map :(.

Just did a test at my work and the nbn flogs it!!

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Just did a test at my work and the nbn flogs it!!
If you use a corporate network, it's quite likely that the network will restrict that kind of traffic, and the speed test doesn't allow for others using the network at the time! I'm sitting on the end of a multi-gigabit fibre link with carrier grade hardware feeding gigabit straight to my desk, but the data used by speed test will tell you I can't get more than about 30 Mb/s to it despite it being barely used this time of day! The other problem is that the speed test app is limited a little by your own browser. Browsers don't necessarily keep up with the throughput :P

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
My adsl is worse than your morning speed :cry I got my connection checked and the telstra guy came and checked the pit out the front of my house. I was chatting to him when he opened it and it was flooded! Apparently this isn't a problem :rolleyes
Provided your 'voice' still works at an acceptable level than that's all that matters to Telstra - they have no additional obligations to you.

And this is the major problem with the Liberals broadband plan - they are going to use this copper to deliver their plan so that everytime it rains your service will degrade. Not much of an improvement if you ask me :banghead

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Provided your 'voice' still works at an acceptable level than that's all that matters to Telstra - they have no additional obligations to you.

And this is the major problem with the Liberals broadband plan - they are going to use this copper to deliver their plan so that everytime it rains your service will degrade. Not much of an improvement if you ask me :banghead
Well, Telstra these days do have to provide 1.5Mbps on a short enough line.. if the line has a dial tone. Beyond that, they don't care too much. Unless you're a BigPong customer in which case they might. Maybe.

Sadly, it's looking ever more likely we're going to wind up being lugged with the Liberals and their short sighted, short term "cheaper" way of doing things that will only cost more in the long run... probably in about 2 terms when the moron masses who voted for them just because they "hated" Julia (despite having no interest in politics beyond the tripe the media presents them) finally decide that they're sick of the country not actually moving forward and vote for Labor again. Then it'll be Labor's problem to fix it, they'll be hounded by the Libs and the media for spending so much money on technology that "has a limited life" that could be replaced any day by better technology and so on and so forth... Sounds kinda familiar don't it?

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
You could host thereefuge at those upload speeds
I'll be hosting my own business website from now on.
NBN costing $100 per month
Cancelling my $70pm TPG account
Cancelling my $60pm Telstra account
Cancelling my business hosting $12pm
I'm in front financially and faster - win/win :D

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I'll be hosting my own business website from now on.
NBN costing $100 per month
Cancelling my $70pm TPG account
Cancelling my $60pm Telstra account
Cancelling my business hosting $12pm
I'm in front financially and faster - win/win :D
Increase in power consumption = $fortune per month. :P

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
That fortune per month will always be there thanks to the power companies, no matter what I have plugged in!!!!:(
I moved all my gear to the US when the power bills were getting too much. Then I started on marine, and wound up spending more on electricity :(