Firefish- Sick Or Laying Eggs?

Discussion in 'New To Reefing' started by Mott, Mar 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Hi Guys!

We got a firefish this morning from the local store - swapped him as the live rock we purchased had feather stars in it and we didn't feel they were good for our tank - and we are not sure if it is laying eggs or not?
    It had a fat belly and now it has clear coming from its bottom.. please advise, pic attached
    IMG_2799.JPG
  2. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,709
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    It is not laying eggs. I would guess that it has some type of abdominal issue - probably caused during collection or transportation.
  3. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +2,984
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    It will more than likely heal without human intervention under good water conditions.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    Oh no! The poor thing

Our water parameters are testing good. (Ammonia 0.02, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 1, Phosphate >0.25, Temp 26, Salinity 1.025, Calcium 400)

We have lost a couple of livestock from that store but the livestock we have had shipped from Perth is doing great. It's really frustrating for us and so sad for the animals.

We had to return the live rock with the Brittle Star as after reading about them we felt they might eat our fish. It was really interesting to find out about them and see it in action.
    IMG_2772.JPG
    • Like Like x 1
  5. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +2,984
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    Pretty much have had those starfish ever since I set up my first reef tank, and even though I thought I had none in my current tank they appear.

Some of us here would love such a fine specimen!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    We would love it too but we are new to reefing and our tank is only 80l
  7. slin1977

slin1977 Member

Ratings:
    +2,984
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    They are everywhere when I went to the shallow tidal reefs in Fiji
    • Like Like x 2
  8. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,709
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania
    Brittle stars are primarily scavengers and so I would think that your fish would be safe.

Whilst not a high reading, you don't really want to be seeing any measurable ammonia - what test kits are you using?
  9. Mott

Mott Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Australia
    State:
    WA
    At the moment the Ammonia test is the Dali feet one which hangs in the tank
    As we live in Karratha when we started this journey we were limited as to what was available at the time so we kind of have a 'mixed bag' of brands. Since then I have found a store in Perth which has been very helpful and they put us onto the Red Sea kits- I'm hooked.
    We currently have the Refractometer, Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity in the Red Sea and are ordering the others to suit.
    I tested our parameters are a little startling after tonight however everything is happy?? I'm feeling a little lost but am also worried our existing test kits are not up to par so I'm a little sceptical about adjustments.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    IMG_2864.JPG
  10. potatocouch

potatocouch Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Australia
    State:
    NSW
    @Mott That Alk is sky rocketed; you don't dose, do you? I'm a bit hesitant your Alk is at that level. If it's true, you need to bring that down gradually.

Salinity is a tad low too; you would want to aim for 1.025 ~ 1.026; is your refractometer calibrated?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MagicJ

MagicJ Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,709
    Australia
    State:
    Tasmania