Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
First Addition And Alk Issues
I added my first fish recently - a Possum Wrasse. Probably a poor choice for a new tank but I have always wanted one and don't see them often. Which is about the same now I have him ... he's appeared from the rocks maybe 6 times in the last two weeks, and then only briefly. I keep feeding in the hope he is picking up something but have not seem him eat directly yet. Might need to try some live brine shrimp this weekend.

ascontent_lax3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_t31.0_8_13113034_1020540111370996_3066404953364944926_o.jpg

I also have 3 snails in there, 1x turbo and 2x Trochus. This week they started falling off the glass/rocks ... and I think might now be in poor shape/dead. I tested the water and lo and behold, my ALK is 14.4! Which I think must be the cause. Nitrates are a bit high (25) but I can't imagine that would adversely affect snails. I did a 25L water change (about 20%) yesterday and will do the same again this weekend to bring it down. Phosphate, CALC, Salinity etc are all good.

I'd set my doser up to RAISE ALK, but obviously overdid it, and also realised while doing my water change that my dosing lines get submerged during water change time, meaning ALK and CALC both empty into the water - so fixed that issue too.

No coral yet, waiting another week or two until I get all of my stock back from Fragalicious including my clam. Can't wait.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
One of my favourite fish :D they hide a lot and I never see mine eat either and I've had him 6+ months now haha I know he's eating though as when I feed he becomes a little more visible lol not a great deal though :) when you do see him just keep an eye on weight rather than if you can see him feeding as you may never see it lol

Mine has taken up a friendship with my kole which helps get him out and about but only when the kole is just cruising lol
ai1367.photobucket.com_albums_r793_Wrangy_Aquarium_IMG_2155_edited_zpstphp6ebv.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
One of my favourite fish :D they hide a lot and I never see mine eat either and I've had him 6+ months now haha I know he's eating though as when I feed he becomes a little more visible lol not a great deal though :) when you do see him just keep an eye on weight rather than if you can see him feeding as you may never see it lol

Mine has taken up a friendship with my kole which helps get him out and about but only when the kole is just cruising lol
View attachment 53979
I forgot you had one! Good to know that setting him now and again is normal haha.

ALK test tonight: 11.2. Getting better.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I forgot you had one! Good to know that setting him now and again is normal haha.

ALK test tonight: 11.2. Getting better.
Glad to here the alk is getting under control :) Hopefully the snails aren't too upset to come back!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Glad to here the alk is getting under control :) Hopefully the snails aren't too upset to come back!
At least one of the trochus is okay, the other still pissed but I think alive, the turbo is dead.
are they jumpers like other wrass?
No idea actually, hope not as I have no cover!

The wrasse is apparently making more frequent appearances in the open. Annoyingly never in the evening when I am home!

Parameters seem to be stable now, so need to work on reducing the Nitrate and the ALK a bit more. Still a week or two from first corals.

Screenshot_20160511-201111.png