Reef Discussion

camillo

Oct 22, 2011
sydney
first ever tank supplementation
hey guys,
I've had my tank running now since last october. and I've always been against the idea of supplementing my tank if I'm not prepared to test it on a regular basis. so up until now the only thing I've been adding to my tank is amino acids along with doing regular weekly water changes. but I've decided i want to start adding more supplements. main reason for this is because i feel like while my corals are seeing a good amount of growth, i think they have lost some colour. at first i thought it was all in my head. but i just recently added an ultra cataphyllia and it was the most fluro yellow thing i have ever seen in my life when i first got it, and its been in there less then a week now and i think its already lost a bit of its fluro colour. my green tip tree corals tips seem to be less green, along with my purple tip cats tips..still some of it could be in my head and my eyes just getting used to the colour but i don't think so. i was looking into buying the red sea colour supplements but when its when i start looking into supplements that the hobby gets real confusing and complicated to me so i need a little bit of guidance and advice into what should i start supplementing, whats really necessary to supplement and what are the best ones to buy..cause i asked the guy at my LFS and he was ready to sell me like 1200 bucks worth of crap.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
What are your tank parameters, lighting type and photo period?
Do you use NSW or ASW?
What supplement did you think you needed?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I'm only new but if it was me I'd test the basics mg ca and alk and see where they are at and if they are out of wack on where you think they should be maybe the red sea (if your looking at that brand) reef foundations
would be the place to start. I noticed K&J now have trial packs of the red sea reef colours too.

Uglyman

Mar 9, 2012
Pyalong
What are your tank parameters, lighting type and photo period?
Do you use NSW or ASW?
What supplement did you think you needed?​
Basic tank parameters are a good starting point for anyone new to reefing (Alk/Mag/Cal) what are they currently at?
Lighting types can have a major impact on colouration and growth in corals, if the cataphyllia you recently purchased was straight off the reef then it would be used to sunlight so depending on the lighting you have you can expect some change in colouration as it adapts to the change. Don't jump straight into dosing your tank with suppliments that claim they enhance colour, increase growth (and make you more attractive to the opposite sex) hehe. Stick to the basics, get them spot on then if you still think you want to tinker with your tanks chemistry try testing for and supplimenting minor elements such as strontium/silica/Iron/Iodine/Potassium.

As slin1977 suggested post up your basic tank parameters and maybe we can give you some insight into whether your tank is in need of suppliments.
Alk...
Ph...
Cal...
Mag...
P04...
N03...