Tank Journal Archive

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
First Full Day Of The New Led Lights.
So it turns out the 5" wide touchscreen I was going to use for the reef controller is faulty. Like, proper faulty. So I ordered a new one, and uploaded the sketch for the 3.2" screen I have - the right hand side of the display is faulty, but the touch works flawlessly (the 5" wide one was the opposite - non responsive to touch). That way the lights can run whilst I wait for the new screen.

ai.imgur.com_QJiOJ8j.jpg

This is them at their brightest setting - the picture was actually significantly bluer than this, but I tweaked the temp settings (my DSLR takes pictures in RAW format, so I get full control over the final product) so that it looks the way it does to the eye. They're very bright.

ai.imgur.com_QA3WFwv.jpg

These are the lights themselves. The lenses are painful to look at.

ai.imgur.com_jnMAR9a.jpg

As you can see by the controller, the total output of the units is maybe 1/3 of their maximum - only one LED string was over 50%. These emitters are significantly more efficient than the previous ones I was using.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
So it turns out the 5" wide touchscreen I was going to use for the reef controller is faulty. Like, proper faulty. So I ordered a new one, and uploaded the sketch for the 3.2" screen I have - the right hand side of the display is faulty, but the touch works flawlessly (the 5" wide one was the opposite - non responsive to touch). That way the lights can run whilst I wait for the new screen.

View attachment 51025

This is them at their brightest setting - the picture was actually significantly bluer than this, but I tweaked the temp settings (my DSLR takes pictures in RAW format, so I get full control over the final product) so that it looks the way it does to the eye. They're very bright.

View attachment 51026

These are the lights themselves. The lenses are painful to look at.

View attachment 51027

As you can see by the controller, the total output of the units is maybe 1/3 of their maximum - only one LED string was over 50%. These emitters are significantly more efficient than the previous ones I was using.
i need one of these controllers for looks!! how much are they and do they work on any lights?

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
i need one of these controllers for looks!! how much are they and do they work on any lights?
It's the Jarduino controller, you build it yourself with arduino components, you have to make a small donation for the full version of the sketch (Jamie Jardin put shit-tons of work into it, so I think that's fair) but you can modify it as much as you want from there. As far as dimming goes, it'll only work natively with drivers like the Meanwell LDD series. You CAN get it working with 0-10v PWM drivers like the Meanwell ELN, but you need a self-built go-between voltage conversion shield. You're better to just use native 0-5v PWM drivers.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
Awesome.. So much time as you say would of gone into that interface design

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
Awesome.. So much time as you say would of gone into that interface design
Yep. Another great thing is that he's a moderator over at UKReefs and he's pretty much always willing to help you out with any issues or modifications you want to make to the code, as well as some basic troubleshooting. Way more than what commercial reef controllers offer IMHO.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Yep. Another great thing is that he's a moderator over at UKReefs and he's pretty much always willing to help you out with any issues or modifications you want to make to the code, as well as some basic troubleshooting. Way more than what commercial reef controllers offer IMHO.
wait is it a full reef controller? (similar to a apex?)

KoNP

Jan 5, 2015
wait is it a full reef controller? (similar to a apex?)
Not entirely sure what features the apex has, but I'll run through the features of the Jarduino.

-PWM Dimming control of 5 LED channels (7 if you include sump and moonlighting)
-PWM fan control, based on the temperature of the LED heatsink (the hotter it gets, the faster the fan goes)
-Temperature control of the tank (ability to turn chillers/heaters on and off via relays)
-Wavemaker control (can switch simple wavemakers on and off or emulate a reef crest program)
-Feeding timer to control an autofeeder
-Temperature alarms.
-Ability to auto-dim LEDs if the heatsinks get too hot - until they cool down.

When he releases version 1.3, he's looking to include the following:

-ATO control
-pH, salinity, calcium and ORP control.
-Dosing pump control
-Weather emulation
-Modification of wave maker control to simulate lunar tides
-Wireless peripherals
-Video monitoring

The best part about it though is that you only need to use/include the features that you want or need. You don't have to buy the arduino modules if you don't need the function they provide. Full customisability.

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground
Not entirely sure what features the apex has, but I'll run through the features of the Jarduino.

-PWM Dimming control of 5 LED channels (7 if you include sump and moonlighting)
-PWM fan control, based on the temperature of the LED heatsink (the hotter it gets, the faster the fan goes)
-Temperature control of the tank (ability to turn chillers/heaters on and off via relays)
-Wavemaker control (can switch simple wavemakers on and off or emulate a reef crest program)
-Feeding timer to control an autofeeder
-Temperature alarms.
-Ability to auto-dim LEDs if the heatsinks get too hot - until they cool down.

When he releases version 1.3, he's looking to include the following:

-ATO control
-pH, salinity, calcium and ORP control.
-Dosing pump control
-Weather emulation
-Modification of wave maker control to simulate lunar tides
-Wireless peripherals
-Video monitoring

The best part about it though is that you only need to use/include the features that you want or need. You don't have to buy the arduino modules if you don't need the function they provide. Full customisability.
Sign me up, where do i buy all the components!!!

Andrew B

Mar 14, 2015
Kangaroo Ground