Tank Journal Archive

Nick_85

Sep 22, 2014
First Livestock :)
Tank has been cycling for around five weeks with no traceable ammonia and nitrites, nitrates are still yp but on the downward way :)

Got an absolute steal and couldnt say no to it so first cirals have gone in:

8 hammers including nice purples greens and a beautiful bug gold/orange :)

Medium elegence
large green tip leather
flouro green synularia
kenya tree
some purple mushies
Green heliofungia

All quite hardy and have opened up beautifully

Fish to start in the comming weeks

Ordered a smart ATO, hailea300a and some refugium lighting all due this week also :)

Thats all for now
20141104_134647.jpg
20141104_134720.jpg

E

ezza

He may be inferring that you might trigger a cycle and suddenly have a little problem on your hands. The cycle needs to be triggered by something I suppose. Most of us rush at some point. Just don't add fish or anemones or SPS for a bit longer.

Nick_85

Sep 22, 2014
He may be inferring that you might trigger a cycle and suddenly have a little problem on your hands. The cycle needs to be triggered by something I suppose. Most of us rush at some point. Just don't add fish or anemones or SPS for a bit longer.
Re reading my post i should have stated that there were ammonia and nitrite spikes lol this isnt my first tank either ammonia and nitrite rose and are now untraceable, nitrates are now falling i dont think there will be a mini cycle at all :)

Nick_85

Sep 22, 2014
Yes Melb Cup was on. Frankly I would expect those corals to fail. 5 weeks and with nitrates still not being consumed, is just too soon imo.

Check this thread out.
Thanks for the support lol nitrates are actually being consumed as they are dropping lol but thats for you to read into and be negative about it :) should have seen the tank theyve come out of alot higher lvls than mine so id imagine there quite tank hardend :)

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks for the support lol nitrates are actually being consumed as they are dropping lol but thats for you to read into and be negative about it :) should have seen the tank theyve come out of alot higher lvls than mine so id imagine there quite tank hardend :)
I don't see any reason why some corals would cause a mini cycle. I certainly wouldn't add fish for a few more weeks but corals should be ok.

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Looking great!

I see you've decided to place a lot of the corals towards the bottom of the rocks. What are you planning for the remainder of the rocks?

Nick_85

Sep 22, 2014
Leaving the tops open for some sps if i decide to go that way 6 months down the track, but i love hammers morphs and zoas that will be the bulk of it with other lps, im sure ill move stuff around :p would also like some xenia and star polyps on the rocks ( yes i know they can be a pain)

E

ezza

I personally am all for experimentation. I put my clowns and nem in way too soon and they're still alive today :D

Azedenkae

Jun 17, 2013
Leaving the tops open for some sps if i decide to go that way 6 months down the track, but i love hammers morphs and zoas that will be the bulk of it with other lps, im sure ill move stuff around :p would also like some xenia and star polyps on the rocks ( yes i know they can be a pain)
Haha yeah, sometimes the 'cheap, hardy' ones are what one loves more than everything else. :D

I personally have a soft spot for ricordeas. :3 And Fluffy morphs. And hammers. Basically anything that waves itself around in the water lol.

Hey who cares if they spread like wildfire, when you actually want them to. :3

I personally am all for experimentation. I put my clowns and nem in way too soon and they're still alive today :D
Experiments are all good, as long as you are clear as to what it entails. :D

E

ezza

Softies are the only corals that thrive with nitrates present. My nitrates are stupid, but the softies are most certainly not flaccid ;)