Tank Journal Archive

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
First livestock
First fish entered the tank! I know people normally put CUC in first, but there didn't seem to be too much to clean up? So I went with one small basic fish to get things going. Enter "Smitty"!!! The blue green chromis:
aimageshack.us_a_img12_7241_img1843wj.jpg

Having Smitty in the tank forced us to extend the light hours and this mixed with some food actually entering the tank, spurred on a diatoms outbreak:
aimageshack.us_a_img834_5769_img1854c.jpg
aimageshack.us_a_img577_858_img1856k.jpg

Now I was happy to add in some clean up crew, so went with one Peppermint shrimp at first and then soon added another peppermint shrimp and a couple of nassarius snails. Shortly followed this with a couple of turbos too. Here is one pep and two nassarius getting drip acclimatised to the conditions:
aimageshack.us_a_img27_4356_img1874ho.jpg

Snails wasted no time getting to work (nor did the pep's for that matter):
aimageshack.us_a_img534_2662_img1877ft.jpg
aimageshack.us_a_img259_4135_img1861kw.jpg

Getting further impatient, a couple of weeks later I added "Fernando" the lawnmower blenny after hearing how cool their personalities are on this site. Certainly a cool little guy:
aimageshack.us_a_img580_6655_img1890er.jpg

He wasted no time eating the "grass" on the rocks (started eating straight away) and is keeping his good size very nicely. He's quite the guts though and doesn't mind going for some prawn meat or frozen spirulina pellet either.