Tank Journal Archive

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
First Triton Results
I finally pulled the wallet and did a Triton test.

I am glad I did it, because it helped me to double check a few suspicions and discover things I never imagined. Let's break it down:

screenshot_45.jpg

screenshot_46.jpg
screenshot_47.jpg
screenshot_48.jpg

High Aluminum
This is no surprise, because I am long term user of Marine Pure and Phosguard(Aluminum Oxide). Despite the theories that Al affects leather coral, my 5y old leather is still doing good.
Anyhow, I will replace AO by GFO and see if I can bring it back to NSW levels.

Cooper detected
This was a surprise as I never dosed any medication. I will have to chase the source...

Ca, Mg, PO4
It is god to know my Red Sea test kits do match Triton tests.

K
Not too bad. I always wondered if I should supplement it.

Iodine(I)
Good to know Water changes are not enough and I need to supplement it.

What do you think? Can you find something I missed?

Last edited:

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
How long did it take from when you posted it to Cairnes Marine to when it was available.
what % of water do you change...

Oh BTW... thanks for sharing your results, when I get some lazy cash I may do a test myself... I luv charts and numbers

Sep 24, 2013
Palm Beach
It took 13 days from posting to Cairns Marine to getting the results online.

I do 10% water changes on weekends and I usually miss one weekend per month, so 30% per month is more accurate.
I also dose randy's recipe and vinegar.

@Lesley It feels like going to the doctor, you never know what they will find :P

I lost all my SPS, a couple of months ago, while I was on holidays and I couldn't figure out why, since all parameters were fine when I came back. Then I tried to some SPS frags and they melted in few days.
At least know I know what to fix before I try again. In this case, the test is worth its price in gold. Or should I say in "SPS" which can be more expensive than gold? :P

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
hehe, I think we need to put a standard line in for each triton test posted. You must say how long it took to get results and how much it costs. Two questions that come up every time :D

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Plus the postage from the LFS/supplier - $10?
Not sure what you mean here... You purchase from LFS for $65 and post yourself to cairns marine (hence the $10 listed). Cairns Marine have built any costs from them to Triton lab into the cost of the test kit.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Or just pickup from LFS?
As if that's going to be possible anywhere in Tasmania :dead

I might be able to pick one up if I come over in September :)

To my wife - 'I have to go now because I will save $10 on postage for a Triton Water Test' :D

Would I mention how much the actual water test was going to cost - absolutely not !!