Tank Journal Archive

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Fish Love The Tank After Water Change.
photo 2 (3).JPG
Spent 2 hours cleaning all the powerheads today. Wow think it improved the flow another 30% at least, had to dial them back.
Did a 250lt water change and vaccummed sand (haven't done for 6 months) It was filthy.
Fish were in hiding most of the time, they hate big clean days View attachment 41158
photo (22).JPG
photo (23).JPG
View attachment 41161 lol
But its so nice to see them enjoying the fresh water afterwards while taking a break with a glass of red.
We sold our large foxy (foxface) that had been with us for 12 months and replaced him with a smaller version. He is settling well. The hippos are getting large now and one has a really bad attitude, thinks the tank is his, but if anyone stands up to him he hides in his little nook to sulk. They are all talk and no fight those fish..lol

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Your tank is looking great!!!!!
thank you. You can take some credit for that
Its the plus. & trace I swear. Have to mortgage the house to dose. Sometimes wish I had started with something a little smaller cost wise. Lol.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Looks great - any chance of a FTS?

BTW, they are not normally called hippo tangs in Australia - I think that is more of an American name - Blue Tang will do nicely :) And, I don't mean to be picky :rolleyes

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
Looks great - any chance of a FTS?

BTW, they are not normally called hippo tangs in Australia - I think that is more of an American name - Blue Tang will do nicely :) And, I don't mean to be picky :rolleyes
. I don't think he deserves any name but bossy britches ! It's funny because both lfs we bought them from called them hippo tangs. Here is a FTS you asked for. Excuse quality I just quickly shot with iPhone.
image.jpg

E

ezza

I hate it! *cries in the corner while secretly pressing the "love it" button*

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
I love your scape! how did you hold it together? acrylic rods? glue?
The second pillar from the left, rock with zenia on it has 2 part putty holding it. The rest is free standing. WE hope for a very long time . lol

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
. I don't think he deserves any name but bossy britches ! It's funny because both lfs we bought them from called them hippo tangs. Here is a FTS you asked for. Excuse quality I just quickly shot with iPhone.
View attachment 41166
A couple of quick points/observations if you don't mind

1) Why do you have the Tunze pointing straight up like that?

2) Don't take it as a negative comment, but have you tried a Vinegar bath for your pumps? They'll come up like new with about 5 mins actual work. See http://thereefuge.com/threads/how-to-vinegar-bath-your-equipment.4952/ unless it's an old pic they still look like they need a clean to me. You'll better flow again if you do...

With the Tunze, just pull it apart and put all the bits in a 2Litre ice cream container (a 6105 fits, C-clamp, magnetic holder, shroud, pump, impellor, etc. I soak the lot). If you do a vinegar soak you'll love the results with NO effort.

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
A couple of quick points/observations if you don't mind

1) Why do you have the Tunze pointing straight up like that?

2) Don't take it as a negative comment, but have you tried a Vinegar bath for your pumps? They'll come up like new with about 5 mins actual work. See http://thereefuge.com/threads/how-to-vinegar-bath-your-equipment.4952/ unless it's an old pic they still look like they need a clean to me. You'll better flow again if you do...

With the Tunze, just pull it apart and put all the bits in a 2Litre ice cream container (a 6105 fits, C-clamp, magnetic holder, shroud, pump, impellor, etc. I soak the lot). If you do a vinegar soak you'll love the results with NO effort.
Thank you for your observations. Appreciate the feed back. I didn't want to remove all the coroline algae on the outside but pulled tham apart and removed anything that was restricting the flow. None of the coraline is affecting intake or flow now so I don't think a vinegar bath would now help. But if it saves time then I will try it next time.

I am really glad you asked about placement ???? Our rock work is actually down the middle of the tank, equal swim room back and front of tank. No matter where I have tried to point, place, move, direct I end up with dead spots. The only way I have NO dead spots seems to be that way. If you have a better idea I am very very happy to try it, but I have tried everything.
I also have 2 tuze power heads facing each other at the back of the rock work that does keep the back sandbed free of crap.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
If 2 pumps facing each other work for the back rock work, why couldn't the other 2 work for the front in the same fashion (with equal swim space front and back).

Either way, good looking tank. Now to sit back and let it grow out...

Lesley

Apr 2, 2013
If I put them any lower it really thrashes all the corals terribly. If I dial them down then I don't get any movement on the front sand bed. Think the rocks either end ( high ones) stop the flow if place them any lower.

E

ezza

I think your placement depends on your own experience and desires for flow. I can't find a sweet spot in my tank at all. I move my power heads almost weekly and aim them up down and all around to stir things up. Drives me nuts.