Reef Discussion

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Oh... I thought I was meant to run at max power guess I missed the memo

I have the water level set mid way up the optimum level on the rod so that's all good. Gate pretty much fully open on 3 lights seems to run fine, 4 lights makes it overflow

There is a little blue water mark on the gate rod, that's optimum. Then three lights and pretty open gate should get you a good skim. Just check it. I too get a very wet skim when im on the fourth light even though the gate is fully open. Running at the optimum depth makes a huge difference. If you can get it to the mark it'll be good. Any shallower you'd need more speed, any deeper you'd need less speed that's all.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
This things working pretty well now, about 1.5cm of pretty brown gunk out since Saturday already, might take my reef octopus offline soon.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Once you get it dialed in Adam, it's pretty reliable. Once it skims down to where you have it set, you can go up one light and see how it does. Right after I dose vinegar, it pulls out a little more, but other than that it's about 60-100ml/day.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
What do you mean by skim down to where I have it set?

I seem to get a lot of buildup in the neck, I had to quickly drain some water this morning cause it was almost overflowing and I didn't have time before work to do a full clean.

Water seemed relatively clear? Smell was pretty rancid though so figure it was pretty gross regardless. The the neck and skimmer cup was pretty much black from all the gunk its collected. Is this normal or should I be changing it up?

I'm going to try zeobak and zeostart when I get back from holiday in Sept to try bring tank up to the next level would I expect same results from skimming after I start dosing that?

It might just be skimming a bit wet but that might be needed to get rid of excess waste. Just get it frothing midway and up... in the cup section. Once you get to steady running you can go a bit dryer. Sounds like you got is all sorted. Happy skimming.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I should have said once it cleaned up the tank. I set mine low, get it skimming and then when the bubbles drop some, add another light so that it doesn't overflow the cup. As the foam level drops, you can add another light. just keep an eye on it. I know you sticks guys need clean water so you'll have to watch it.

Clean the neck well and watch the level.