Off-Topic

Dynamic

Radio Host
Jul 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
fish?
I have to ask, why do people say fish? I have seen signs at the LFS with the word fish on it. I do not understand. I always thought the plural of fish...was fish.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
It's like seeing signs for Coffee's and Cake's. I see them everywhere. Coffee is what? Cake is what? English is a tough language - so few people know how to speak it correctly. :D

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
There was a big debate about this on another fish forum, apparently the work fish is plural for many of the same species and the word fish is the word for many different species of fish.

For example;

A tank with 10 chromis in it has many fish in it.

A tank with 1 tang, 1 angel, 1 blenny, 1 boxfish, 1 trigger, 1 clown and a 1 hawk has many fish in it.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
yea I know, i was using it as a common example of this conundrum!

I like to speak Aussie lol. its more understandable!

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I agree with Matt it doesnt sound right. It is however an actual word and when used correctly can add depth to our weird and wonderful language.

I like to speak Aussie lol. its more understandable!
too true... I used to work with a Lebanese immigrant, and it was so interesting learning about the differences/similarities between the english and arabic languages. However he struggled with english so much that we taught him to speak aussie instead :D