Tank Journal Archive

E

ezza

Hi @Fishy, I looked this TJ up because I remembered someone fitting an LED moonlight to an AR400. What is the brand of light? I am also really interested in your using miracle mud and no skimmer. Especially given the terrible things people say about the AR skimmer. I haven't filled my tank yet, but I don't quite know what to do. I guess I was thinking I should remove the balls, because everyone says to do that... And I was considering mud because I have read it's amazing... But then I was told not to use mud because you have to replace it every 12 months. The only other option is a DSB in the sump. How come you don't need a skimmer? I don't quite understand that. I don't mind trying though!

Is your blue pipe to the sump inside that back left hand corner compartment? I didn't get a chance to have a really good look in the back as I threw my back out yesterday. It looks like the water goes right to the top of that rear corner compartment where the sponges are and overflows to the next slot to the right, where I believe the heaters should go? Then you have your miracle mud. How much did you put in? Oh, and what is the thing you out in the mud to "test" it? H-something?

It's great seeing the tank I have working so well. I really look forward to the next step.

Regards. Xx

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Hi @ezza,
Yes i have fitted a led moonlight (ex guppies) to the middle of the fitting that holds 4 x T5's. does the job nicely. The light fitting was standard with the tank, however i envisage upgrading to the AquaOne Radiance that includes an auto moonlight feature within the led program.

The mud... One bag x 4lb into the centre compartment, no balls, heaters either side of the return pump. The blue inlet pipe goes into the back left compartment that has the blue filter sponge. Btw the mud only needs 1/2 changing every 2 years!
No testing required, just do your normal tests. Nitrate is my only concern at the moment... The rest are at or below required levels, bearing in mind i use either NSW, or specially filtered water from Seahorse World ($100k filter system).
The protein that a skimmer would normally collect, is absorbed by the mud. So far so good, given i was sceptical re using this so called miracle, however in saying that, i may add another bag to top it up later.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Hope this helps?

Fishy

E

ezza

Yup! I am 99% sure I am going to get miracle mud. So many people look at me like o_0 when I describe your set up. I'm willing to give it a whirl and start off this way.

I find the sump quite odd. I get the things people say about it with the gurgling blue pipe and the skimmer not fitting in the designated compartment.

I grabbed some super cheap LEDs from bunnings on a sticky backing which I've stuck just under the back lid of the tank and it's giving us lots of subdued moonlight effect. I'll investigate the alternative lights another time down the track. I really like the Kessil LEDs Asquith Aquarium uses and might buy those sometime in the distant future.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Yup! I am 99% sure I am going to get miracle mud. So many people look at me like o_0 when I describe your set up. I'm willing to give it a whirl and start off this way.

I find the sump quite odd. I get the things people say about it with the gurgling blue pipe and the skimmer not fitting in the designated compartment.

I grabbed some super cheap LEDs from bunnings on a sticky backing which I've stuck just under the back lid of the tank and it's giving us lots of subdued moonlight effect. I'll investigate the alternative lights another time down the track. I really like the Kessil LEDs Asquith Aquarium uses and might buy those sometime in the distant future.
Yep the blue pipe does gurgle and you will get salt creep.

The LH side in in this order from the back, water in, filter sponge and spare compartment at front (may fill it with lr rubble, or different items ie phospate absorbing pad etc.
Middle is mud, no lids and yes you will hearvthe water trickle into the chamber.
The last section on the right is the return pump section and heaters.

Keep me updated

Cheers

Fishy

E

ezza

i had a migraine today, so did what i do best and relaxed by walking the aisles of the bunnings near my work. they have some fibrous sound dampening material where they keep the melamine coated board. i glanced at the label, it was called pine something. as i looked at it i thought that it would offer some noise dampening if stuck to the inside of the stand. saying that... neither my husband or myself could at first tell the tank was making any noise at all because it's in the lounge room and just a few metres away outside the window behind the couch is my Koi pond... which makes watery gurgling noises. it's just slightly louder. i may or may not dampen it. i'm not too concerned anyway.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
i had a migraine today, so did what i do best and relaxed by walking the aisles of the bunnings near my work. they have some fibrous sound dampening material where they keep the melamine coated board. i glanced at the label, it was called pine something. as i looked at it i thought that it would offer some noise dampening if stuck to the inside of the stand. saying that... neither my husband or myself could at first tell the tank was making any noise at all because it's in the lounge room and just a few metres away outside the window behind the couch is my Koi pond... which makes watery gurgling noises. it's just slightly louder. i may or may not dampen it. i'm not too concerned anyway.
Careful to not block the ventilation out completely ...2/3d's of mine is open

E

ezza

oh yes, if i was going to pad it i would only stick it on the inside of the door. i'm thinking of doing the same thing as you with the power board panel. i have the materials, just considering it for a bit before doing it. i might put a thinner vertical strip in so as not to block too much of the back. i only have one power board in currently and it seems to be ok as it is (vertically).

E

ezza

oh! and i had another idea. an alternative to using the melamine board... you could also use a sheet of egg crate placed in the back and then cable tie or somehow clip a power board in there.

E

ezza

i totally get that. i guess if people wanted more ventilation the egg crate could suit the purpose.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
i totally get that. i guess if people wanted more ventilation the egg crate could suit the purpose.
Just dont forget that it is aluminium that is paper thin (can cut it with scissors)
As thats what is now in the base of my tank

E

ezza

egg crate is aluminium? i think you have the wrong kind! you should be using acrylic egg crate, not aluminium egg crate.

E

ezza

i'm just thinking that in the long term, aluminium corroding in salt water can't be good.. but i may be wrong.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Aluminium wont corrode...thats why they build ships etc out of it. Ie Incat Catarmarans

Last edited:
E

ezza

i realised this after posting that... i didn't realise that it has a type of self healing ability when exposed to water. very interesting!