Tank Journal Archive

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
Flame Hawkfish
So I was readying a couple of the guys posts on flame hawks a few days ago, and today I went to one of the LFS and they have 3 new ones in separate tanks, I already picked up after a chat with magicJ, one that is larger than the current 3, maybe 2inch long and fairly fat now, he eats a lot..

I know one of the posts on the forum from a member bought a second and kept him in a box in the corner to assess if they would get along for 2 weeks.

My question to those more knowledgeable is, do I pick the smallest of the 3 at the shop currently? he is tiny, maybe 4cm if that, then the other two seem to be about half the size of my current one, or is this just a bad idea and they wont get along..

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
I was the one with the breeder box :) lol definitely go the smallest possible option and into a breeder box till you are comfortable :) Having a pair of them is one of the best things about my tank :D as long as you take it slow you'll have no issues (hopefully!!). My original male I'd had for two years before I introduce the new girl :)

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
I was the one with the breeder box :) lol definitely go the smallest possible option and into a breeder box till you are comfortable :) Having a pair of them is one of the best things about my tank :D as long as you take it slow you'll have no issues (hopefully!!). My original male I'd had for two years before I introduce the new girl :)
Ok the ultra tiny one..

sweet

any issues with yours and shrimp?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
The only shrimp I've ever had them dispatch are Peppermint and Camel or Hingeback shrimp. I've never had a fish go for a Cleaner shrimp.

dimitri

Aug 15, 2015
well I have a sexy shrimp, a pistol shrimp and as of thursday a bloodred cleaner shrimp, all of them are on the 'large' side & the flame hawk seems to not care about them / always comes to the surface ledge for feeding when I am in the room..

I was hoping the blood red shrimp would be out and a bout a bit more and I was expecting him to steer away from the pistol shrimp... then i didn't see him for 3 days, this morning i target fed a hole in the rock that gets to the goby/Pshrimp burrow.. who do I see come out? all 3 of them for a snack, one after the other.... I was like awesome 3 critters I don't get to see all living together, what the hell man... you 2 are not supposed to stick together. :banghead:banghead:banghead

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Keep the hawk fed and you shouldn't have an issue. I find a lot of issues with predators happens when they're hungry, and I have a few. Tesselata moray, Leafmouth grouper and a 6 line Soapfish, all get feisty when they don't get fed for a while.