Off-Topic

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Food and how you cooked it!!
Made a fantastic meal tonight and thought i'd share in case somebody else wanted to make it. Nothin out of the ordinary just beef ribs. I dont think I had ever had them before maybe as a kid but I cant remember so when i seen them at the butcher (http://www.eatfreerange.com.au/) I grabed 4... next time it will be more!!

I mixed up a marinade of the following (I dont measure just splash so i'll guess)
Kecap Manis (thick soy).... maybe 1/4-1/3 cup
worchestire... probably 2-4 tablespoons
balsamic.... table spoon
BBQ.... tablespoon The tomatoe and BBQ sauce are the outback sauce brand at coles they have
Tomatoe.... tablespoon a bit more flavour than the normal stuff.
raw sugar.... 2-3 teaspoons
4 cloves of crushed garlic

I mixed that up this morning and left it to marinate all day.

I cooked them in the oven on 100 for about 2 1/2 hours and turned them once when i remembered and then at roughly the 2 hours mark i drizzled a tablespoon of honey over them.

They turned out better than I expected and i'll be getting a few more next time if they have them!!

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
The worst meal I ever cooked( and I'm pretty good these days) was when i was first married and decided to cook a chicken in wine for hubby with no recipe. Basically poured a whole bottle of red wine in a pot and threw the chicken in with a few herbs. came out pink and stank!! And yes-he did eat some!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Chang's Oriental Noodle Salad would go perfectly with ribs. Try it - my brother in law is a steak and chips country boy who doesn't like salad and he inhales this.

1/2 - 1 Chinese Cabbage or 1/4 Savoy Cabbage (shredded finely)
6 finely sliced spring onions
100g lightly roasted slivered almonds or pinenuts
1 pkt Chang's Fried Noodles 100g (Original or Crunchy)
DRESSING:
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Combine the salad ingredients and dressing. Mix the noodles through just before serving.

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
The above one is delicious-call it " crunchy salad " in my house but because we don't mind rabbit food i usually also add slivered cucumber and snow pea sprouts. Also chuck in pepitas
use brown sugar instead of caster sugar( because I usually don't have any in the cupboard)
And i agree with Megan-is lapped up by people who don't usually like salad at all-i think it's the dressing. can also use the same dressing base with fish- I add dill to it when I do salmon and i'm a bit heavier with the vinegar- use a dash of balsamic vinegar as well as the white vinegar with this-I tend to chuck in and taste rather than measure quantities ( then can also add a tiny bit of chilli)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Today I cooked up a chicken stir fry....

Chicken 3 thighs
Thick soy
Palm sugar
Rice wine vinegar
Fish sauce
all of the above are added in equal quantity.
3 garlic cloves
1 onion which was fried off for a minute or so before adding the chicken/marinade

EDIT.. The chicken was marinated in the sauces for 4 hours longer the better. I also forgot the garlic and onion.

What else goes in it is up to you I threw in carrot, mushies and some capsicum.

Had a pic but tapa won't allow it :(

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Haha not that good really, most of what I cook is improvised a little but the majority of my ideas come from recipe books I have read.

The ribs were my own creation as was the stir fry but the ingredience are stuff I have probably picked up from making stuff from my Spirit House book or reading on the net :)

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Thai Fish Cakes :worship
After going to Thailand a few years back, we got hooked on these! found a excellent Thai cook book and they are one of my favorite things to cook :) It's good because Ken enjoys them as well - and he doesn't eat fish:D

Might do some of them on the 26th, as well as some chicken satay skewers :D

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
If anybody is in brisbane reading this and they want an chinese master stock I have one that they can have. The recipe is from niel perry, though every body seems to use the same one, and I use it for cooking chicken. If anybody is keen I will run through the ingredients (i'll put up tomorrow anyway) all can be brought from china town. Mine is coming up to seven years old so it packs a bit of flavour.

I will cook on of the damn tastiest and moist chickens you will have ever had!!

In saying this my old niehgbour may have already tossed it lol I couldnt bring it to melbourne as it needs to be frozen.

It was made to the recipe and then you cook the chicken and once done boil it and strain through cloth and sieve back into the container and freeze it. Next use add a little bit of all the ingredients cause you will have to do a manual top up of the evap (:)) from the last chook. I sort of add by taste.

Top of my head some of the ingredients were

Light Soy
Dark Soy
shaoshing rice wine
Yellow rock sugar
Dried manderine peel
Ginger
Garlic

I will fill in the blanks tomorrow :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
I just got the domain registered for our new site www.bbqleek.co.uk (dont think its hosted yet so the link might not work, just a blank page anyway!) so going to spend the next few weeks getting it looking how we want and then we are set!

I am going to have section for 'guest' recipies, hope some of you would post your top ones on there!