Off-Topic

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
I have a recipe for scones that NEVER FAILS!!
I am a pretty good cook. I love cooking. I HATE washing up.
Especially after making dough-y things like scones.
My scones set like cement and were the meaning behind the phrase "scone-ed" as in "he got scone-ed in the head".
They weren't good.
But this old guy told me this recipe and method and now i am very proud to say that my scones come out perfect every time.
The washing up department hasn't changed.
So here it is:
Pre-heat oven to 250 deg C
3 cups of self raising flour
1 cup of thickened cream
1 cup of lemonade

Note: the runny-ness of the cream will determine how much lemonade you put in. If its very runny then less lemonade. If very thick, then more lemonade. You'll get a feel for it after a few goes.

Using a spatula, gently fold the cream and lemonade into the SR flour until fully mixed. Its important not to beat or knead it too much - you want as much air in the mix as possible.
It should be a fairly wet dough but not sloppy. Make sure there's lots of flour on the surface where you plan to cut it into scones and lots of flour on your hands. Try not to mess with it too much and mold it into a loaf sort of shape. Then put it on the floured baking tray and cut it into squares or whatever shape floats your boat. Stick it in the oven for 8 minutes then take it out. DONE!!
They are very quick and easy to make and I've made them while chatting to a visitor and presented them with hot scones with cream and jam for morning tea. Never fails to impress!! ;)

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
http://everydaygourmet.tv/recipes/367 is the salted caramel macarons I made. A few things the recipe doesn't tell you. IF you are using baking paper, make sure you have a spray bottle with water handy for when they come out of the oven, lightly spray underneath the paper so the macaron is lightly steamed off and will lift from the paper, if you don't do this you may have a beautiful macaron that you can't eat. Also, Before cooking, when piping the first row, if when you are ready to start the second, the first piped macaron isn't flat, scrape off and work some more and maybe add a small amount of tant port tant, The mixture is ready when you can drizzle a bit on the top and in around thirty seconds it is absorbed back into the mix.The macaron needs to lose the stickiness before placing in the oven, depending on weather anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or you wont get the nice foot. If possible use a silicon baking sheet, Oh, and double trays, not sure why but they do work better when you do.
I am a founding member of our local cooking group which has been running for the past two years, we have a great diversity of ages and cultures so more than happy to share any recipes from there, everything from thai spring rolls to croquembouche :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I neeeeed some....it's almost a 3 hour drive to your place, I could be there by lunchtime!! Hmm... do we need a cooking forum?

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
LOL, I haven't made them recently but I could let you know when I do :D IT's funny I was thinking last night about finding out if any one else was a foodie then firebird pointed me to here. This place combines two of my favourite loves, food and reef aquariums....heaven!

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I have to admit I am a little uncultured at times when it comes to food - I originally thought macarons were macaroons and was wondering what all the fuss about. Even when I found out what they were I refused to join the fad - then I tried some - Pistachio flavour.... only had them once but they are all they are cracked up to be - very yum and satisfying!

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
I used to be the same and thought how odd it was that so many chefs mispelt macaroons, you can use any nut really, allmond, hazlenut, pistachio, macadamia, really about the mix of half and half for nut and sugar to stop it clumping with moisture. totally different to a macaroon but oh so nice.....Only keep for about 4 days though, someof the recipes I have make 80! so don't get used often, then there is the french vs italian method just to confuse people more. The italian method you have a hot sugar solution that you add to the egg white, can be better on really humid days but scares a lot of people as you need a thermometer to measure 121 C and then have to be careful to add slowly but not splash any or you get a nasty burn.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
A friend of mine had a restaurant on Phillip Island for a while and this was a permanent and popular part of the breakfast menu. If you like porridge, you will love this.

LIME AND GREEK YOGHURT PORRIDGE
Make a single serving of porridge using water instead of milk or cream and at the end mix in 2 tbsp Natural Greek Yoghurt, the juice of half of lime and raw sugar to taste. Serve.

Porridge is an excellent breakfast as the oats give you sustained energy throughout the day.

Natural Greek yoghurt is the healthiest choice of yoghurts. It's less processed and will give you more protein than normal yoghurt, has half the sugar (which you add some back in anyway) and is easy for your stomach to digest. The live cultures boost your gut flora and aid in absorbing more calcium. I prefer Farmers Union Natural Greek Yoghurt as it is thick and creamy. Some of the brands can be a little jelly-like which is not so nice.

Lime is refreshing with a bit of zing to wake you up in the morning and said to be good for boosting your metabolism, though I think it is more the benefit of getting some Vitamin C.

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
Love lime.....I made lime chiffon pie the other week and altered the recipe to make a nut base so it was gluten free...Nope reicpe isn't on this computer.I will go to the other one and post it. Really light and creamy and simple to make. I will post the nut based version for those that are gluten free, I actually prefer it and have used it for cheesecakes and other desserts that have a pastry or biscuit base and figure that it is adding protein and therefore making it healthier. But if anyone has a nut allergy they can just use a normal biscuit base.

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
LIME CHIFFON PIE Gluten Free
2 cups whole almonds with skins, toast and cool (hazelnuts can be used as well)
Scant ½ cup of dark brown sugar
120 g unsalted butter
Process almonds and sugar together in food processor. Pour in melted butter and pulse until incorporated. Press the mixture into fluted tart pan with a removable bottom and bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust and slightly darkened. Remove form heat and let cool completely.
For the lime chiffon…
4 eggs separated
1/3 cup caster sugar
3 teas gelatin
2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
1/3 cup lime juice
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup caster sugar (extra)
Combine egg yolks, sugar, gelatin, rind, juice and water in a medium heat proof bowl. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and whick until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat, cover and cool.
Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually add extra sugar beating until sugar dissolves. Fold meringue into the lime mixture in two batches. Spread filling over the cooled base and chill for 3 hours before serving.

A lot of my recipes are on my computer from sharing them on cooking days, makes it easy to find them sometimes.