Off-Topic

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Ooh yes please... I just discovered a recipe the other day with a nut base - its been doing the rounds on Facebook. I wonder if its similar to your recipe for the base? I've never bought young coconut pulp before though, I wonder where you buy it or find it in the supermarket?

425108_270002429775102_1895351419_n.jpg

Rawforbeauty

Raw Vegan CHOCOLATE COCONUT CREAM TORTE ♥
*Recipe Posted by :Eric Rivkin
you can also find this recipe in Eric new E-book :TO LIVE FOR♥ http://www.vivalaraw.org/living-foods/to-live-for-recipe-book
Bottom Layer Crust
1 cup raw almonds or pecans, soaked 2 hours, rinsed
1 cup fresh or dried finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
Dash of cayenne

In a food processor with the S blade, mix until a crumb texture is reached. Set aside.

Coconut Cream Filling
2 cups firm young coconut pulp
5 bananas
1/4 cup coconut oil
4-5 pitted medjool dates
½ tsp vanilla extract or caviar scraped from 1 bean
Blend ingredients until creamy. Set aside and refrigerate.

6-8 large firm strawberries, de-stemmed and sliced 1/8” thick

Top Chocolate Layer
1 cup young coconut pulp
3 Tbsp coconut oil
½ cup raw cacao powder
3 pitted medjool dates
3 black mission figs
½ tsp vanilla extract or caviar scraped from 1 bean
¼ tsp cinnamon
Dash of cayenne
Blend ingredients until thick and smooth, adding just enough coconut water to turn over in blender. Set aside.

Garnish
1 cup assorted berries - raspberry, blueberry, sliced strawberries
1 tsp honey
Mint leaves (optional)
Blend the honey with about a few of the strawberries to make a glaze. Toss gently with the berries and mint and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Assembly:
1. Press crust recipe evenly into a 9” spring-form torte pan with a removable side greased with a little coconut oil.
2. De-stem, then slice the strawberries the long way and press the large pieces against the inside of the torte pan. Use the smaller heels in the garnish..
3. Pour in and spread the Coconut Cream Filling.
4. Freeze for 2 hours to firm up.
5. Pour on and spread the top chocolate layer mix. Refrigerate or freeze again until firm.
6. When ready to serve, first arrange the fruit garnish on top.
http://www.facebook.com/RAWJED
— with Eric Rivkin.

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
I have a Cadbury recipe that is gluten free if she is a chocoholic, probably on cadbury's recipe page, called autumn log and tastes like jaffas, I also have gluten free pastry recipes that are really nice, one is Maggie Beer's, actually made it on the same day as the lime chiffon for the cooking day as some of our regulars are gluten free and these days we all know someone who is. That base is totally different. Young coconut pulp may be a chinese/asian supermarket? Either that or buy a fresh coconut and scrape the pulp out, you would have to blend it then though, not sure.
Will post a vegetarian/gluten free recipe.

Turluturlu savoury tart
Turlu turlu is a Turkish style roast vegetable mix.
165g dried chick peas, soaked overnight and drained (or two tins)
I large eggplant
125 ml olive oil
3 cloves Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 smalll chilli’s
2 red onions, peeled and quartered
1 large red capsicum, seeded and cut into 4 cm pieces
6 potatoes, , peeled and cut into small pieces
2 button squash trimmed and quartered
600 g pumpkin, seeded, peeled and cut into small pieces
2 zucchini, sliced and trimmed
500 ml tomato puree
Coriander leaves or baby spinach to garnish
Method: Cook chickpeas in boiling salted water or until tender, drain well. Place eggplant into colander and sprinkle lightly with salt and set aside for 30 minutes to drain. Rinse and pat dry with paper towel. Preaheat oven to 180 C, Combine oil with garlic, chilli and spices (can substitute Moroccan seasoning if desired) and mix well. Divide oil into two baking dishes. Add eggplant, onion, potato and capsicum and coat well with oil. Cook for 35 minutes, then add pumpkin and zucchini and cook for another 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender and some are starting to char slightly,pour over the tomato puree and chickpeas, cook for a further 10 minutes or until heated through. Scatter with coriander leaves or baby spinach.
GLUTEN FREE Pastry
90 g unsalted butter
1 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
150g gluten free flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (available from health food shops)
2-3 medium eggs
Made like Choux pasty,
Preaheat oven to 210 C
In a heavy saucepan, combine water, salt and butter. Bring to a simmer and add flour and xanthan gum. Stir vigourously with a wooden spoon, lower temp and continue to cook the dough until pastry comes away from the sides and is well combined. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
Whisk the eggs to combine and add slowly, incorporate fully before adding the next bit. You may not need all the egg mixture,
Turn onto a floured surface (using GF flour) and knead until smooth and shiny incorporating as little of the flour as possible. Chill for approx 30 -60 minutes. Place between two sheets of baking paper and roll to ½ cm thickness before lining backing tray.
Cover with slightly mashed Turluturlu mixture and cook until pastry is firm. This pastry is suitable for meat pies and wet fillings as well.
Another GF Pastry recipe suitable for quiches, cheese tarts etc and goes very crisp, suitable replacement for shortcrust pastry.
125g cream cheese, cut into chunks
75g unsalted butter, chopped and chilled
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 cup GF flour
Combine cream cheese and cold butter in a food processor, add flour and gum. Whiz until just combined. Turn onto a floured surface and bring together with hands. Chill pastry then treat as above.

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
Beya Kyaw (lentil patties) burmese style
1 Cup yellow lentils
8 shallots or 3 spainish onions very finely chopped
1-2 red chili's finely chopped
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmuric powder
salt to taste
oil for frying

Soak lentils overnight to soften then place in blender and grind to a smooth paste. Mix the shallots, chilli and garlic and knead until mixture is smooth. Add the coriander, turmuric and salt and knead again until smooth.
Coat hands with vegetable oil and roll mixture into balls. Heat oil until a haze appears then reduce heat slightly. Cook until golden brown and well crisped on the surface. Drain on paper towels before serving.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Mmm that sounds good! I might make them for lunch next week and have them with some salad.

My mother has been making a really simple, nice caesar salad lately when the whole family is over and we all dig in to it - its not low fat but it takes seconds to make and would be a good option for those quick dinner days.
Ripped up, washed cos lettuce. Chopped ham. Parmesan flakes. 2 pieces of toast chopped into squares (I like these better than croutons). 'Colway Real Mayonaise' from Aldi and toss to coat. Garnish with a boiled egg cut in halves.

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
I usually make my own croutons, just cube fresh bread (or older bread that you would normally discard) place on a tray and stick it in the oven on a low temp until crisp, so much nicer when done fresh compared to the crap you buy. Nothing like a fresh salad, I am not a mayo fan unless it is aioli, usually I just do a balsamic viniagarette with a few fresh herbs depending on my mood. I am in the process of starting a new herb garden as I lost the last one with all the flooding the past couple of summers so this one will be raised in an old bath tub which we found at the local tip. As far as low fat, pfhht, I think as long as your diet is basically healthy, you try and use the better oils etc when you have to then a bit of fat never hurts anyone. We need it just like we need salt and other stuff. One of my kids is actually supposed to be on a high salt diet, he won't add it to normal food so has lots of salty snacks and when sick has electrolyte drinks, you can tell when he hasn't been having enough salt as he goes really vague and flat. He is an exception to the rule though, we are supposed to get about 3g of salt per day into him which is actually quite a lot

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
Ooh yes please... I just discovered a recipe the other day with a nut base - its been doing the rounds on Facebook. I wonder if its similar to your recipe for the base? I've never bought young coconut pulp before though, I wonder where you buy it or find it in the supermarket?
Googled: coconut pulp is obtained from fresh coconut, remove the meat from the coconut and blend. squeeze to remove the milk, what is left is the pulp HTH's

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Cracking open a coconut is a lot of work! I remember my dad getting out his drill so he could pour the coconut juice/milk out - is there a lazy option?

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
What are you making? And how big is your mortar and pestle????? I wish you could smell through the internet at times like this, I love the smell of freshly ground herbs and spices.
Being boring here, chicken kievs and scalloped potatoes etc.

Duh, just read that you are making palak paneer......YUM!!!!!

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
To open a coconut easily - sit out the back on the concrete area, put your beer down on one side of you and with the other hand lightly tapping the coconut on the concrete, about 10cm high (just dropping it from your hand) and keep rotating the said coconut. After a short while, it will make different sound as the shell starts to crack, pour the milk into a bowl. The coconut will now break up easily and you will find that the flesh inside will come away from the shell quite easily from the tapping. Don't forget to keep drinking the beer whilst bouncing the coconut - very important. Difficult coconuts have taken up to 2 beers to open. ;)
I know the most important thing you're all thinking is "Can I substitute another form of alcohol for the beer" and the answer is yes, you can.

MichelleShocked

Moderate ;)
Jan 7, 2012
Gladstone
2012-07-13 18.17.58.jpg

I made this a few weeks ago. Coles was selling their pavlovas for $5.50 (down from $12 - who can resist that??) so I decided to make this as a surprise for my daughter. Strawberries were far too expensive so I thought "raspberries - why not?" and used those. With some kiwi fruit and fresh passion fruit from my mums place - the sweet yellow ones, not the purple ones - and some whipped cream, came out looking like this :) my daughter informed me she doesn't like pavlova and wouldn't eat it.......so I did. :D

Colbosue

Aug 11, 2012
Colbinabbin
Hmmm, yum!!!! I have a recipe for chocolate layered pavlova, my non pavlova child loves the choc version, usually make it in the summer when I can pick fresh berries in the backyard......drool!!! I think a few of us are going to have very messy screens and keyboards with all this drooling.:D