Reef Discussion

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
Food Food Food
Ok, so i want to know peoples feeding habits!
the main reason i ask is that when i am on holidays, i want to minimise the amount of time i am coming into the class. (ill probably be here everyday out of choice but just in case i cant....)

I have been looking at different automatic feeders with pellets or possibly live food.

Ultimatly i would love to have live food swimming around and the fish can eat whenever they please however im not sure if this is viable in a tank.m

Also, is there an automatic way of feeding corals? Currently i am just direct feeding them a frozen brine shrim mix. Let me know your ideas and what you think i should be doing!

thanks

Attachments

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i feed my tank 5 times a day mix of different foods. pellets and brine flake mainly. sometimes frozen food. you could use an auto feeder with pellets? just remember an auto topup for fresh water if you have a sump. dont want the pump running dry

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
nah by hand, when ever i walk past it i give it some. usualy 2x morning before work,1x at lunch time, 2x throught the night

Attachments

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I have thought about building a small reefuge (<-- see what i did there... it wasnt a spelling mistake) that sits above, and overflows into the display tank. This way live food have somewhere to breed out of harms way and some will travel out the overflow and become food for the tanks inmates.

Has anyone done this or someting like this? does it work?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
thats why i wanted to put the refugium so that it overflows into the DT and therefore no pump invovled.

Attachments

Talmier

Jul 24, 2011
I feed 3 times a day

In the moring either Alge Marine Dinner

Lunch time Flake

Night is a Frozen Brine Shrimp Cube

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Are you allowed to recommend specific brands or product....if so what would you advise to start a pair of wild clowns on?...Hopefully to be soon joined by a bi-colour blenny.

rosechaser

Jul 14, 2011
Sydney
Sorry should add that I have ordered a dual container eheim feeder for feeding during the day...so something suitable for that would be great

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
thats why i wanted to put the refugium so that it overflows into the DT and therefore no pump invovled.
There's a lot of stuff about this on the net-look for "above tank refugiums" but they all require a pump to pump up water from the main display tank into the fuge and then the fuge will drain back by gravity. But you're right- argument is that no pump from fuge-no organisms chewed up