News

Would you purchase frag cells for personal use?

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Frag Cells EOI
Hello everyone,

We are currently working on a trading system in order to help with conservation efforts. A major part of this program will be the use of frag cells.

Frag cells are a frag holding vessel which keeps your frag safe during transportation. It is very heavy duty, and is easily shipped. It can hold up to 250ml of water and is able to fit in a 500g express post satchel. Each cell is able to be used over and over thus making people use less things like plastic bags, etc.

We would like to know if users would like these available for personal use outside of the trading system. These will be available for public purchase as a product of The Reefuge and can be used for frag transportation. They will cost around $5 each.

If users are interested, please vote and reply here.

EDIT - Added update.

I just did a few trials with the frag cell.

Trial #1 - Sit on cell - Passed with no damage to the cell.
Trial #2 - Drop cell onto concrete floor - Passed with no damage to the cell.
Trial #3 - Drop cell from 20 foot height onto concrete floor - Passed with minor scratches to the bottom of the cell.
Trial #4 - Drop cell from second story of house - Passed with minor scratches to the lid but no damage to the cell.
Trial #5 - Sit on cell after all tests - Passed with no damage to the cell.

We were expecting these cells to take a beating, but they seem indestructible. I will make a video and take some photos soon.

EDIT: I would also like to add that all tests were done with and without water in the cell. There we no leaks at all. Maybe Australia Post will be the ultimate test for these things?

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @Elias,

Currently not. I am trying to figure out how many need to be ordered as they need to be purchased in bulk. They are quite expensive so I would like rough numbers. They are a specimen cup (clear) with foam on top and a lid.

Thanks.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello @rockerpeller,

Similar. The ones that were tested were brittle and no good for shipping anything. The current cells are made of extremely tough plastic, but unfortunately cost a lot more.

Thanks.

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
just throwing it out there.

Is a hard plastic really the way to go? In theory great, its hard and strong yadda yadda yadda. Until Auspost toss it in a van and it shatters. A softer plastic in my opinion is much better option. Think 2 fruits

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
It is the same plastic riot shields and the bank teller screens are made out of to be "bullet proof" or projectile proof, it can withstand high and low velocity impacts, crushing forces and flat sheeting can maintain plastic deformation even when bent at 90*. It is also graded as suitable for drinking water, has a high transparency, scratch resistance and high thermal resistance. It structure is also is unaffected by heat up until 140C* and does not become brittle until below -20c*

So we have a material that is though, doesn’t impose any leaching into the water, and provides thermal insulation, scratch resistant and durability...

But it also costs 10x what the others did, so whilst we were originally planning to give the others away as a conservation effort, the best we can do is subsidise them for members, but looking at it from if we get a few hundred out there, they are used a couple of dozen times each. We have helped save a nice patch of reef :)

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Same principle I guess, what we are trying to achieve is developing a best practice system and hopefully something that acts as a tool to encourage trading amongst hobbyist. I have had reasonably poor results with shipping with aust post and 95% of the issues have been with the packaging

deL

Mar 3, 2013
Canberra, ACT
They sound interesting and very suited - I would be interested if I ever got in to fragging. Currently not doing so, though.

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
It is the same plastic riot shields and the bank teller screens are made out of to be "bullet proof" or projectile proof, it can withstand high and low velocity impacts, crushing forces and flat sheeting can maintain plastic deformation even when bent at 90*. It is also graded as suitable for drinking water, has a high transparency, scratch resistance and high thermal resistance. It structure is also is unaffected by heat up until 140C* and does not become brittle until below -20c*

So we have a material that is though, doesn’t impose any leaching into the water, and provides thermal insulation, scratch resistant and durability...

But it also costs 10x what the others did, so whilst we were originally planning to give the others away as a conservation effort, the best we can do is subsidise them for members, but looking at it from if we get a few hundred out there, they are used a couple of dozen times each. We have helped save a nice patch of reef :)
Called Lexan...

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Lexan is a trade name Poly- carbonate is the generic term, but yes that is the stuff. Myth busters use it as their blast shelds when they detonate bombs for the other geeks out there

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

I just did a few trials with the frag cell.

Trial #1 - Sit on cell - Passed with no damage to the cell.
Trial #2 - Drop cell onto concrete floor - Passed with no damage to the cell.
Trial #3 - Drop cell from 20 foot height onto concrete floor - Passed with minor scratches to the bottom of the cell.
Trial #4 - Drop cell from second story of house - Passed with minor scratches to the lid but no damage to the cell.
Trial #5 - Sit on cell after all tests - Passed with no damage to the cell.

We were expecting these cells to take a beating, but they seem indestructible. I will make a video and take some photos soon.

EDIT: I would also like to add that all tests were done with and without water in the cell. There we no leaks at all. Maybe Australia Post will be the ultimate test for these things?

Thanks.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
If anyone can break something unbreakable I'm sure Auspost will put it through its paces. :p
Awesome stuff though. Shows how far you are willing to go just to get this system running :D