News

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
We are looking at ways of making it cheaper and safer to transport frags.

One of the biggest issues seems to be trading across our large country, most of us don't have courier accounts so we are stuck with aussies post.

They are both rough and fairly pricey, because of the roughness we have usually had to go the 3kg bag because of the size of the packaging, this is about $18

What we want to develope and I'm doing a shout out to for members contributions here, is a frag tube being a shatter proof plastic tube with a double sealed lid, that is food grade, can hold a decent size frag and plug,Mia reusable many times and when full will weight less than 500 grams so it can go in a $10 post pack

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
So far we are looking at getting custom polycarbonate tubes made with a double seal, thick wall section, non tapered, straight internal edging that holds around 180mls

We are then looking at having a spong fixed to the lid that the frag plugs can be secured to so that the coral is suspended in the liquid and cushioned from shock. The idea is to use a sponge that can be used as a filter media ie put it in your sump a few days before postage to help deal with ammonia.

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Seems the biggest issue is with containers leaking that then get put in a separate area and don't get delivered or get delivered a few days later, we are hoping to have something that can be drop kicked and still be ok time after time.

I like that idea, but we are not afraid to go custom and top quaility

NiCd

Lead Moderator
Jul 29, 2011
Sydney
Be fun to film some of the testing like playing a game of footy with one, seeing what height we can drop them from, how hard we can throw them at MTG and seeing which one gives in first

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Be fun to film some of the testing like playing a game of footy with one, seeing what height we can drop them from, how hard we can throw them at MTG and seeing which one gives in first
I'll give one to my dog to chew on. See if it survives that :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I tend to ship things in 600mL soft-drink bottles. For frags, I try to ge a very wide-mouthed plastic bottle, put a small amount of water in, put the frag in, and then pack internally with "non-absorbant" filter wool. This cushons the frag from impacts and is very light. In addition, air passes freely through the filter wool. Those who I have shipped frags to will know what I mean.

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Sorry ladies an dGents. I gorgot about this at work today, will have to knock it up and post pic on Monday, but essentially it's a length of PVC pressure pipe, and endcap, a threaded endcap with o-ring and lid. Very strong, light, reusable and cheap.

Sorry ladies an dGents. I gorgot about this at work today, will have to knock it up and post pic on Monday, but essentially it's a length of PVC pressure pipe, and endcap, a threaded endcap with o-ring and lid. Very strong, light, reusable and cheap.
i like it, awesome idea:) why didn't i think of that lol :p